Problem found with Hella LED conversion headlights.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to help Geoff.

I've owned my Mustang since 1975. It has never been in an accident and the grill has never been out of the car so the dimensions are within factory assembly tolerances.
Again, I appreciate your help Chris and good to know the dimensions are correct. That gives me something to work with now, but as said, I'm now looking more toward the revised idea.
One benefit to the top shield version, is it could act as a "dress up" piece to cover that ugly hole between the grill and headlight bucket front bracket. The 71-72's don't have such a big ugly hole, but there is some gap.

I just would like to add that the first version stayed in place at hi speed. I hit 110 and it looks like it didn’t budge. Lol it was a fun test!
Well, that's good to know. Now do it in driving rain and see if any water gets in!
I take it you refitted it as I described. Also, I would appreciate it if you could take some dimensions of the extra cut out needed to clear the twist lock bracket and also how far below from the top surface (at your cut out) is the lowest part of that bracket where it bolts to the bucket side bracket. Hope that makes sense.
What I am thinking is to make a definite dip in the plastic on both sides, so it clears the twist lock bracket but without removing any material. If I can do that, I think it would be good for either twist locks or none.
PM me the results if you can. Thanks.

Geoff, how about having the shield attach to the inside of the headlight bucket itself? You would need to use much less material, and it could be designed to "snap" into place with only a small amount of 3M VHB tape keep it from rotating.

Geoff, how about having the shield attach to the inside of the headlight bucket itself? You would need to use much less material, and it could be designed to "snap" into place with only a small amount of 3M VHB tape keep it from rotating.
Hemikiller, that is a good thought and worth me looking into as perhaps yet another alternative. As far as using less material, it would be the same due to the blank size, but I see what you mean.
This water problem exists mainly on 71-73 Mustangs, but a universal shield could actually be profitable.
Thanks for the thought.

NEWS FLASH!
After taking longer than I had imagined, I now have the "Direct Fit" headlight water shield for Hella H4 to LED conversions to where I'm happy with them.
I know not everyone will feel these are necessary as we don't drive our cars in the rain and many don't even wash their cars, but speaking from my own experience, it happens. As a quick reminder, last June, I got caught in a severe, sudden thunderstorm and had no choice but to drive in the rain. The result was I found the headlight can and do get water in them. The main reason of course is the lamps on our cars are literally out in the open. Of course, the old sealed beam type were not affected by water, so not an issue.
The Hella H4 lamps come with halogen bulbs and rubber dust covers, but with the upgrade to 9003 type LED's, these covers are no longer usable. Not only that, but they don't fit the headlight bucket anyway. I did purchase a set of rubber dust seals for the 9003 LED's, but these do not work either.
So I first came up with the idea to make a top cover, which did work quite well. The problem was I found it did not work on cars with hood twist locks. I also found that the 73's were very different to the 71/72's. This led me to the direct fit idea which will work on ALL Hella H4 lamps of the same type. There is also no right and left, so one part is the same for both sides.
So, I can now offer for sale the new direct fit cover. There will be an ad posted accordingly.
Further more, I do intend on reworking the "top cover" so it fits all 71/72's as well as a version for the 73's. These offer not only a solution to the water problem, but they also dress up the headlight bucket area.
Below are pics of the finished design. (In pics #2173/74, the LED driver is not properly situated.)

Attachments

• IMG_2159.JPG
    IMG_2159.JPG
    793.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    813.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2162.JPG
    IMG_2162.JPG
    697.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    745.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG
    870.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    929.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks great Geoff! This is definitely a better design and it universal. The first design is still a great idea but to many variables. I still haven’t fit the right side of the top deflectors you sent me yet, just been to busy with work. A few more days then I’ll mess with it, but I think they will work for me.

Good stuff Geoff! Really nice design.

I like that your shield is "Direct Fit" instead of "Vehicle Fit". Looks to me like it will work on a wide variety of vehicles, not just 7173 Mustangs. I am looking forward to your ad.

If the product takes off I wonder if you might consider making a smaller version for 5 3/4" headlamps? Need a set for my '69 Mach 1 and my '66 Galaxie 500!

Looks great Geoff! This is definitely a better design and it universal. The first design is still a great idea but to many variables. I still haven’t fit the right side of the top deflectors you sent me yet, just been to busy with work. A few more days then I’ll mess with it, but I think they will work for me.
John, work always gets in the way of fun!
I sent a PM a few days ago. When you have time, can you respond to that. Thanks.

Good stuff Geoff! Really nice design.

I like that your shield is "Direct Fit" instead of "Vehicle Fit". Looks to me like it will work on a wide variety of vehicles, not just 7173 Mustangs. I am looking forward to your ad.

If the product takes off I wonder if you might consider making a smaller version for 5 3/4" headlamps? Need a set for my '69 Mach 1 and my '66 Galaxie 500!
Doing a version for the smaller lamps is a definite possibility, it's the same but smaller.......... I think! Perhaps you could help me with bucket details as I have no easy access to the 69 or 66 Fords locally.
As for the 7" shields, I am going to pull a few sets this week before it gets too cold to work in my shop, so I'll be ready when orders come flooding in......... I hope!
Ad will be placed today, but will unfortunately be slightly more money. Like everything these days, basic costs are soring, the worst probably shipping.
Thanks Chris, for your interest.

@Hemikiller, I am still looking at your idea of fitting directly to the inside of the bucket. I did take a cast, but to make it a "clip in" design is not possible, so like the direct fit shield, it will require double sided tape to hold it in place. The downside of this idea is it may only be relevant to 71-73 Mustang buckets.
I probably won't develop it further at this time, but a good idea none the less. Thanks.

Back