Professional Auto Tech tools

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryunker

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/fF5Ono][img]https://preview.ibb.co/dKMw7o/20180526_110612.jpg[/img][/url]
For those of us that make a living in auto repair, here is a question for you. I have been a tech for decades, gathering tools for ever. At my current job, have a snapon 72" triple bay bottom box, seven drawer cart, along with a harbor freight service cart all full and do not have a need for anything else.

That being said, here is my dilemma. Moving out of state, wife and most of our stuff already at the new home 570 miles away, Movers are coming again on October 28th to move the rest of our crap along with my two snapon boxes. Have to stay here in town for the next six months so my daughter can finish high school so have to remain functional in my job using only what fits in the harbor freight cart.

Is it possible to minimize your tool needs to fit and still function as an "A" tech in a service cart? We work on all makes and models, not so much on the big super duty pickups, but like everything else.

Could you downsize and still be productive?

I was never an auto tech, just restore cars as a hobby and maintain my daily drivers, but I worked equipment maintenance for my entire career. My feeling is, as soon as you send the majority of your tools away, you'll find you need several of them. I would keep all your tools with you and then when it's time to move, rent a small truck with a lift gate and move them then.

Unless you just work on Chevy's, and then all you need is a ball peen hammer, a roll of baling wire and some duct tape!  :biggrin:

Production loss over 6 months will add up to way more than a U Haul rental and a one day road trip with your daughter. Plus remember what a PITA it is to ask to borrow a tool every day!

So, I made the move of all my tools with exception of my harbor freight cart and have had enough stuff to still function at work. I keep going to where my stuff was to find it gone. It has been three weeks so far. First photo is from the new house, second is what's left at work..

20211127_170837.jpg

20211119_071846.jpg

Good looking tool boxes! I'm going to use the picture to convince my wife that I need another tool box, thanks. Chuck

Those small rolling carts with 4 drawer levels are the bomb!  They are made by Waterloo, one of the main manufacturers of tool boxes.  The only thing I don't like about them is the lid won't stay down unless you lock it down.  I replaced the struts with chains.

Glad you were able to work it out. I have a ton of tools, but I am a hobbyist not a professional, and for the most part I almost never use 95%+ of them. Now, when you need that power steering pulley puller that you use once every 5 years and you do not have it...

Back