Project Elroy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added the resistor when I put in the Pertronix I. The coil ohm's needed a little adjusting.

Okay, another reply in this thread. I am glad you took photos of the 250 engine. My first car was a 69 Mustang, which came with a 250 engine, and no A/C/ My parents added an aftermarket ARA A/C system, which did a fine job. The axle ration was steep, likely 2.79:1 or so. Thus, acceleration off the line was not as exciting as a similar Mustang with a v-8 and/or lower rear axle gears. But, I never had an issue getting up to freeway speeds in L.A. traffic (or elsewhere), and on the open highway I was able to easily enough attain 90+ MPH (I rarely did that, usually kept the higher speeds to 70 MPH when conditions were good).

Despite wishing I had a v-8, the reality is the 250 was plenty powerful enough to get around, and it was very durable and reliable. More than once I ran the RPM in first gear (C4 automative tranny) past redline, to where the valves began to float, in an effort to see how far I could push things. Back then I did not have the same kind of appreciation for things like I have had in later years. Yet, not once did I have a problem with that engine.

I noticed an external ballast resister, (a la Mopar) is mounted to the valve cover retaining bolt. Did you do that to bypass the resistance wire? Just curious.
I also have no issues with the 250 six. We had a 75 Granada with the same 6 and 3 speed stick. It was a great setup and ran silky smooth! My dad purchased it new and special ordered it that way. It became mine in 1985 when after my mom wrecked it and my dad refused to fix it and parked it in the back yard. I fixed the damage and drove it for 5 years. The only issue I had with it was keeping a good carb on it. It was easy to work on and had great acceleration. I did have to do a valve job because of all the cheap ass gas my dad put in it. My only issue with the tranny was that it would occasionally jam in second gear. I had no solution for that.

Last edited:
Yeah, might be a long wait on that head.
I'm currently trying to decide way to go with the exhaust system. I want to keep my ac, so I'd either need a modified header or maybe AussieSpeed dual outlet manifold.

Back