Proto console ?

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 M code 351 4 speed
Looked like a dyed/painted ACP full length center console. We purchased two, one for each 1973 Mustang. I am happy with them.
I think they are talking about where this console has a spot to clip in the seat belts, that is kind of cool. Just like some Pontiac cars had on top of the consoles.

Doug's 73 Mach1

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1, Q code, 4 speed, fully optioned
I suspect it is a very early 71. Also looks like there may be a wood grain applique around the console clock area. Early 71 Cougars listed wood grain around the console clock as part of the full length console. Mustangs and Cougars use the same consoles, except the Cougar also has an ash tray light.

Hemikiller

Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
That series of four ads shows a lot of late prototype and early production items, with the last ad being what looks like actual production cars. The woodgrain console insert was dropped almost immediately. Thankfully the color scheme on the dash of the Mach 1 w/vermillion interior was not used. The seatbelt pockets in the console would have been very expensive to produce and require fairly complex tooling.

The ashtray light was a Cougar specific item, but I've found them in Mustangs over the years.