Pulling engine with 2 post lift?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
Kind of an oddball question, but has anyone pulled an engine with a 2 post lift?

My cherry picker won't reach the engine without hitting the front bumper. I could get a new one or remove the bumper, but has anyone ever experimented with putting a couple of 6x6 beams across their two post lift and pulling the engine that way?

Bring the cherry picker in from the side, you can reach the engine that way.

IMG_0749.JPG

How would the rest of the car be situated? Usually when I pull a motor or put one in, I end up rolling the cherry picker a bit front to back to get the engine to clear things. If you were using a 2 post lift for this, it would be hard to slide the hoist forward and backward.

You also need the car up in the air a bit to get at the flywheel, starter, and other bolts down low. So would you put your car up on jack stands on top of furniture dolleys?

Not saying it cant be done, but I think figuring out how to get it done with a cherry picker would probably be the easier route.

Last edited:
I always use a chain hoist. You could then raise and pin the hoist. It is very easy (and safe) to get the motor mount mount bolts in with the chain hoist. It also turns a two man job into a one man job. Harbor freight: HAUL-MASTER, 1 Ton Manual Chain Hoist $64.99

I'll chime in here too. The first time I had to pull my motor, I used a 2 ton engine hoist that has a longer beam than a 1 ton. I was able to pull the motor and 4 speed together and then put it back in together. The second time I had to pull the motor, I only had a 1 ton hoist and had to remove the front end back to the rad support. A lot of extra work, but you do what you have to do. I still pulled engine and box together. I just find it easier overall in my confined 1 car garage.

Attachments

• IMG_2853.JPG
    IMG_2853.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Back