Q Code ‘73 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidfeldstein

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Q Code Mach 1 Sportsroof
Hello,

New member here. Purchased a ‘73 Mach 1 Q code about a month ago! Had the car serviced for the first time since in my possession at a wonderful vintage auto garage here in the Atlanta area. The feedback I got from the tech was that while the body has had a nice repaint and the interior is original and in great condition, the underside and mechanicals have not been restored. The tech made sure to mention that he was excited to see that the car is “unmolested,” and hasn’t had anything done to it that needs to be undone. I’m really loving this car. Drives beautifully! Had the diff pinion seal replaced, new master cylinder, tune up, new spark plugs, oil change, had the dashboard lights brought back to life, and i know I’m forgetting other things they did for me. Some people on a Facebook page for muscle cars I belong to have been slamming this body style. But it’s the only one I’ve ever wanted. When I was a little kid, my mom drove me around in her ‘73 Gran Torino. So I have memories associated with this year. And even without those memories, this body style still grabs me. I’m posting a couple videos of a walk around I did last week after I had the car hand washed. Hope you guys enjoy. Thanks. David

Attachments

• IMG_4195.MOV
    15.8 MB
  • IMG_4196.MOV
    29.7 MB
  • IMG_4194.MOV
    30.1 MB
Hello,

New member here. Purchased a ‘73 Mach 1 Q code about a month ago! Had the car serviced for the first time since in my possession at a wonderful vintage auto garage here in the Atlanta area. The feedback I got from the tech was that while the body has had a nice repaint and the interior is original and in great condition, the underside and mechanicals have not been restored. The tech made sure to mention that he was excited to see that the car is “unmolested,” and hasn’t had anything done to it that needs to be undone. I’m really loving this car. Drives beautifully! Had the diff pinion seal replaced, new master cylinder, tune up, new spark plugs, oil change, had the dashboard lights brought back to life, and i know I’m forgetting other things they did for me. Some people on a Facebook page for muscle cars I belong to have been slamming this body style. But it’s the only one I’ve ever wanted. When I was a little kid, my mom drove me around in her ‘73 Gran Torino. So I have memories associated with this year. And even without those memories, this body style still grabs me. I’m posting a couple videos of a walk around I did last week after I had the car hand washed. Hope you guys enjoy. Thanks. David
Sorry the videos overlap a bit. I’m not great at editing the original clip on my phone. Here’s a couple more clips I didn’t post yet.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    44 MB
  • IMG_4198.MOV
    46.4 MB
Sorry the videos overlap a bit. I’m not great at editing the original clip on my phone. Here’s a couple more clips I didn’t post yet.
I have a very similar Mach-1 but mine is 4-speed Toploader. I purchased it in 2020 after searching forever for a nice, reasonably priced 69 Mach-1 and fell in love with this "big nose" body style. I've had to do a little bit of of work to it but I absolutely love driving my nearly 50 year old Mustang. Mine does not have the original Q-code motor as the previous owner replaced the blown motor with a 1970 M-code 351C-4V. I've made some mods myself (5-leafs, 3.70 rear gears, Ford traction-lock differential, a Zoom performance clutch, Hooker headers and Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers with H-pipe, Edelbrock manifold and Holley 750 cfm carb, MSD distributor, etc.) to the tune around of $6000 and I'm not done yet. I recently completed reupholstering the seats (TMI product) and next winter its getting a little more radical hydraulic roller cam. The thing runs like a bat out of hell and I love it. I'm kind of glad that I didn't find a reasonably priced 69 Mustang after all.

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 20
  • video-1586986876.mp4
    11 MB
Nice car. I have a Q code one also. I read somewhere that the 71-73 won the most design awards when new or something like that. It is a great example of 70's design. When people talk down about them, I always think it is more about them than the car. My only complaint is that blind spot on the right rear and being under tall it doesn't help.

Hello,

Welcome from Reno.
Gorgeous car! Love the color!

Welcome from Reno.
Gorgeous car! Love the color!
Dude Nice Mach. Had one exactly like slip from my grasp in 81. Some one else got it 30 minutes before I got there with the cash. You need to put Ram Air set up in it. I know it's not correct but the car deserves it! I'm adding it to my 73 Q code convertible!

Back