Q-Jet Carb. Review...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
Finally decided to send my original factory Rochester Q-Jet Carburetor to a reputable rebuild company to have them dissemble and confirm first, that it is what it is suppose to be inside and secondly determine and correct any issues...

As most here have no use for a Q-Jet Carb on our car’s, this post will not be much help, but, for those of us having to deal with these carb’s on our original car’s; it makes a difference. 

Spent three year’s trying to sort this thing out after spending $1500 for it in 2016. Was rebuilt to show quality by a company in New Jersey, date and numbers matching for my car. Just never ran right... 

The company I sent it to is Quadrajet Performance LLC in Texas... waiting to hear back from them after they have had a chance to review...  Should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have played around with the Q-jet and when they are right they are very good. I have several on the shelf that I have dissected and modified over the years mostly as a learning exercise..

There are several good books on the subject and a couple good forums if you are looking for tuning help when you get it back on the car.

TommyK, I am aware of the various group’s online and have conversed on the matter. I have spent quite amount of time learning about them. I had my first J Code back in 1992. The only problem I had with it was the leaking well’s. Everyone has an opinion on my carb. Concensus is very hard to come by concerning how to fix these carb’s. The biggest obstacle is the fact that Ford decided to take a GM Carb (at the last minute) and modify to satisfy emissions back in the day. They were never a good fit on these engines IMO. We will see how it play’s out. Thanks

I have fooled with these for years.  They are great carbs when lined out correctly.  I have some that have been restored for bot AC non AC and even a 4 spd if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Back