Quarter panel rust repair recommendations?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
These were both patched sometime in the past without reminding ing the original (patch panels played over the original metal). I cut these out in 1995 and need to replace them....finally. I bought the large patch panels and am planning to cut them to fit (flanges on existing metal to allow for better water flow inside). Should I cut out the original down turned flanges or do a butt weld there (and cut off the flange on the replacement part)? I do not have the outer wheelhouse. I was planning to form but I fear this may be more that I should try? Should I buy outer wheelhouses and do something similar to what I am doing on on the quarters themselves? I want something that is going to last. I plan to pass this onto one of my kids....and start another one for other other kid.

Passenger side pics:

Drivers side:

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest only using the lower end of a lower patch panel and butt welding below the bottom bend and bodyline that gets the alternate color.  So buy a patch that has the drawn shape that comes from behind the wheel and is a one piece sheet metal back to the trunk drop off flange weld.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjY06jE5pflAhUKvJ4KHc8BD68QjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mustangsunlimited.com%2FMustang%2FBody%2FQuarter-Panels-Related%2FQuarter-Panel-Patch-Panels%2FLower-Quarter-Panel-Patch-Driver-Side-1971-1973-Mustang.axd&psig=AOvVaw0ODKEJqnxgc5D0eVb4QMDX&ust=1571006798984935

Don't get the 2 piece lower patch.  I would fab the lower ends of the wheelhouses or buy the replacements and just use what you need.  When you coat that area it can be pretty forgiving of minor mistakes.

kcmash

Back