Quarter window weather strip help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Howdy,

I need to replace the qrt window weather strip. Can someone lead the way on how to remove the Chrome strip from the window ?  Hate to bust the glass. Also can you purchase the rubber weather strip (the one that touches the front windows separately? 

Thanks for your help

Hey, you do not need to remove the stainless channel from the 1/4 glass to replace the w-strip

The w-strip slides out the bottom of the channel , bottom of the channel will be bent in a bit , you need to open it up-  soapy water will help getting it out and back in

New w-strips are available in USA and import made versions  - both by Daniel Carpenter - several sellers on ebay and elsewhere are advertising Daniel carpenter and not

saying where they are made, so  watch out for that.

It's true that you don't HAVE to remove the stainless channel from the glass.  I have found that in about half the cases, the channel pulls off while I am working on spreading the crimp at the bottom.  If you do remove it, you will need to replace the U-shaped rubber  that grips the glass between the glass and the channel.  Depending on what you are trying to achieve, I like to remove the channel so I can polish it up easily before reinstalling it. 

Thanks Guys! 

WEW  thats a relief not to remove it :) ....... I went ahead and jewel buffed the chrome trim on the window. 

It’s been a month or two, but I am pretty sure I pulled my weather strips out from the top and inserted them from the top.  I just had to work the edge over on the bottom side once it was in that far.  I can’t image trying to install and remove from the bottom—there is a big chuck of rubber on the top that seems like it would make that impossible to do.

Back