quarter windows down ??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1 Q-code 351CJ
1968 289 Coupe
2005 Mustang V6 Legend Lime
1968 Chevrolet Nova
1964 Corvette Stingray
1986 Corvette "Official Pace Car"
1986 Mercedes 190D
Guy's

Strange question !?

Today something strange caught my eye.

I saw a 1971 Mach-1 with the quarter windows down !?

Was this an option on the 71-73 stangs ??

JB

Steve, how does that conversion work ??

Do i need to buy the left and right roll-down system with the 2 little power motors ?? ( can i buy them new somewhere ? )

I realy like the looks when the quarters are down but i dont want to drill holes in my panels to mount the switches ( i asume i can mount them under the dash , out of sight )

JB

JB, there's several threads here that shows the step by step conversion... I suggest you use the search option in the site and you may get into those threads...

I believe the guys do the conversion using the hole coupe quarter window set up cause it fits perfectly in our fastback body... As Steve said, it was an option from factory with non fixed quarter windows; that is why the fastback also has the hole mounting places to every part you need to do that...

Hope it helps!!

Steve, how does that conversion work ??

Do i need to buy the left and right roll-down system with the 2 little power motors ?? ( can i buy them new somewhere ? )

I realy like the looks when the quarters are down but i dont want to drill holes in my panels to mount the switches ( i asume i can mount them under the dash , out of sight )

JB

JB, I have all the parts you need to convert

Usually you would convert to manual roll down to match the door glass

You could go with power but that would be very expensive and not reliable

Don

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the conversion kit from Don @ OMS. He did a great job of piecing it together. Now all I need are the knobs for the crank arms, I believe.
Steve, Didn't you send me some crank arms? Need them back?

Is it possible to use a window motor from any other car or late model Ford ??

I realy don't want to drill holes in my original Quarter panels.

JB

JB
I think I read somewhere on this forum that the electric fastback quarter window glass is of a different design than the standard glass with an extra cut-out in the glass base below the belt-line to make room for the motor (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So for electric window conversion you'd most likely have to buy different glass to suit or get a glass cutter to modify the windows you have.

I had no reservations about drilling the holes in my quarter panels. The holes are covered up by a window crank handle that looks totally natural, and it is an exceptional trade-off to have a rear window that winds down!

And another way to look at it is this: the fastbacks were designed to have roll down quarter windows as evidenced by the infrastructure holes stamped into the internal rear side wall of the car. The bolt-in parts that require absolutely no modification to the car (apart from the hole in the plastic panel) are further evidence of this. My theory is that the deletion of the wind down windows was probably a cost cutting measure, and that adding the new crank and winder mechanisms to our cars is just making them the way they were supposed to be in the first place.

Apart from looking great, a big bonus is when the quarter window is down it stops the wind coming in and hitting you in the side of the face!

Stripey.jpg

Manual conversion with used parts, all parts needed 200.00

To go with power 550.00 +

used motors 200.00 each

tracks and other parts needed about 150.00

plus wiring, switches, relay and breaker

Don

JB

I got the conversion kit from Don @ OMS. He did a great job of piecing it together. Now all I need are the knobs for the crank arms, I believe.
Steve, Didn't you send me some crank arms? Need them back?
Thanks Don, but they are the long ones (for the doors). I want the short ones so I don't "knee-knock" them. Something tells me you need them more :D.

i was going to do the conversion on my car, but after dealing with water leaks in that area of the car and having to gut the rear of the interior to install everything i sort of lost interest. With the rarity of 71 fastback plastic rear interior panels and how long it took me to find a decent pair and the cost i couldn't bare to cut a hole in them for the crank.

i was going to do the conversion on my car, but after dealing with water leaks in that area of the car and having to gut the rear of the interior to install everything i sort of lost interest. With the rarity of 71 fastback plastic rear interior panels and how long it took me to find a decent pair and the cost i couldn't bare to cut a hole in them for the crank.
My interior quarters are trashed anyway, so no big loss. I figure that if/when I get a good set, I can use the current interior quarter panels as a template. Don, do you still have those black quarters? Might be in the market after the new year...

My interior quarters are trashed anyway, so no big loss. I figure that if/when I get a good set, I can use the current interior quarter panels as a template. Don, do you still have those black quarters? Might be in the market after the new year...
I do. Let me know if you really want them before I cut speaker holes in them. :p

Back