Question about door window attachment studs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Today, I retrieved the window glass out of the Rickster's rusted out doors. The internals were in pretty decent shape, considering the bottoms of the door shells were completely rusted out. When I went to remove the driver side window, after removing the stops and rubbing pads, I rolled the window up to move the three nuts that hold it to the regulator. What I found, was 3 nubs where it appeared the studs used to be. I was able to remove the window, but cutting a part of the top window opening away, and just pulling the glass out, bracket and all.

I used the angle grinder and cut-off wheel to remove the stud and retainer. I am now left with this.
20220329_174700.jpg

And the other side looks like
20220329_174727.jpg

Originally, that side looked like this.
20220329_174737.jpg

Sooo... What would be the best way to replace the studs. I don't see them on the usual websites. The coupe windows had what appeared to be a bolt with a large washer, and don't look like this at all.

I'd sure appreciate your suggestions. I'm looking forward to getting these doors back together.
Thanks!

Sometime in the middle of last night, I came up with what I think will work. I grabbed a few bolts from the bin, and determined that a 1/4" bolt fit that hole quite nicely. I got some 1/4" fender washers to spread the load and will just have to reach up behind the window with a wrench when installing it. Now, back to work putting everything together.

73 windows usually had the bracket and stops riveted in place, the 71-72 used bolts. I might have an assembled window in my parts pile, will take a look if you need a reference.

71_73_door_window.jpg

Thanks, Hemikiller. That's interesting. The windows that came out of the doors that are now on the car were from the coupe are up in the loft. They have bolts, while the window from the rusted out Mach 1 doors were riveted. I think I've got it figured out, now, just need to get them installed.

Back