Question about "gone in 60 seconds"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang sportsroof
1970 Mustang Hardtop
1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SLC European Version
1950 Ford Custom coupé
Hey guys... call me dumb but yesterday my girl and me decided to see that movie again... I love to make her suffer :p

it´s been some years since i dont see this movie and now that i have a similar mustang and lots of knowledge about this type of sportsroofs, looking this movie again shocked me in a lot of ways..

The "eleanor" is a 73 Mach 1, am i right??

Is this car "stock"??... Was the standard/blacked out center hood an option?? Is the entire black butt andother option??

Well... i have never seen another stock car looking like this one so.. i ask!!

Thanks!°!

the Eleanor car was a bunch of 71 and 72 cars masquerading as a 73 car.

H.B. Halicki started collecting cars for the movie in 71-72 and due to funding the cars sat around for a year, and they started to film in 1973

for some reason instead of scripting in the 71-72 cars which were not popular back at that time they went with 73s which were good sellers for 1973 when they started to film.

But, the story goes, 73 cars were hard to find since they were new cars back then, so they dressed up a bunch of 71 and 72 cars to look like a 73.

290px-Original_1973_Ford_Mustang_Mach_1_Eleanor.jpg

to the average movie goer nobody could tell the difference. its said they used a M code and a Q code and one car had a 429 in it. all the cars were modified extremely by H.B. Halicki.

the picture above is from the movie, you can see it has the lower turn signals and front bumper of a 71 or 72 car dressed up with a 73 grill.

The car used for the chase and ending jump was a 1971. the car used at the end for the get away from the car wash was another 71 or 72 car dressed up.

Great! now you tell it, its logical to use cars a couple of years old.. and you´re righty about the bumper and turn signals!!... But what´s up with the paint design?? was that hood with the black center in any way stock?? and the all black butt of the car??

Halicki painted up the car is own way for the movie. there was some styling Cues taken from the boss 351 in that paint job

you have to remember cars before 1990 basically lasted 3-4 years before they rusted away and were not collectible. In the 1970s everyone customized their car to there own tastes. basically you got what was on the lot since custom ordering a car was like double the price, so then people would add their own touch to cars.

Look at the mad max interceptor, people outside of Australia thought that is how a XC or XB looked right out of the factory. it didn't even occur to them that the car was highly modified and almost nobody cared about them back then except for a small following because of the 1977 1-2 finish of the falcon hardtops Win at Bathurst.

960632084493_proto1.jpg

falcon-cobra%5B1%5D.jpg

these are movie cars, before 2000 the remake Eleanor didn't even exist.

Pix-Gone-60-carWeb.jpg

The same thing with the Bullet mustang.

BulletRep.jpg

they didn't come from the factory like that. it wasn't until the 2000s that they started making Bullet themed mustangs right out of the factory as a limited edition

yes, you´re right... modify a brand new car is something we see everyday and it´s a logical thing to do if you want to get some atenttion on an action movie like this...

I just saw the car so "stock" look that i wondered if it was realy a stock 100% car. The thing is there is some modifications that could perfectly fit a factory choice... the paint design on this car could be stock, just like 71 and 72 mach 1 has a diferent paint job, customers chioce...

On the other hand... the Boss 351 for me, is a truly interesting car... It is a standard car (or not?) with big engine.... looks like factory was going for smood fast and performance cars, just like boss 429 on 69... I know.. the boss 429 is another story.. less cars were made, Nascar races and so...

Bottom line... nice car the gone in 60 seconds mach 1 and i need to learn more about the boss 351!!

Thanks!

I've never seen that version of the movie. I ordered on NetFlix and moved it to the top of my list.

I've never seen that version of the movie. I ordered on NetFlix and moved it to the top of my list.
Check here on the formun... Rocketfoot added a session in which you can see it right here, right now!

Dont remember the rute though :(

Huh? Me either... I always thought of "Eleanor" as the Nicolas Cage car shown above... Hmm, guess I'll need to go watch the original. Of course, I didn't see Bullet until about 10 years ago either... My movie Mach was the one in Steven Seagals "Marked for Death"

Huh? Me either... I always thought of "Eleanor" as the Nicolas Cage car shown above... Hmm, guess I'll need to go watch the original. Of course, I didn't see Bullet until about 10 years ago either... My movie Mach was the one in Steven Seagals "Marked for Death"
Funny you mentioned Bullit.I remember seeing Bullit on the big screen (walk in) in 1968 OR 69 ? You just have to see that chase seen on the big screen! It will make your stomach jump !The first time I saw it was on a Friday night.I was so excited about it I went home and told my dad.I got him to go back with me on the Saturday night showing,and he was grabing the seat arms on the very first jump! Trully a memorie for me!!

attachment.jpg

http://www.mustangspecs.com/movie/73eleanor.shtml

http://www.gonein60seconds.com/gone_pictures.htm

I think its impressive that only one car was used in the film, through all those crashes. I think the scene at the end with the car wash was actually the same car, they just filmed that part first.

Here is the whole article from the movie website.

Eleanor is the only Ford Mustang in history to receive Star title credit!

“Cars are often featured but never one that the lead was the car”…Lee Iacocca

(25th Anniversary “Gone in 60 Seconds” DVD interview with Denice)

No other leading lady in film history gave so much of her self, withstood such brutal treatment and required 250 man-hours (H.B. Halicki) to prepare her for the cameras. For her more than makeup was needed to get “Eleanor” ready for her starring role in "Gone in 60 Seconds" with H.B. “Toby” Halicki and racing icons like Parnelli Jones and J.C. Agajanian

Eleanor's body skin was removed so that a NASCAR roll cage could be placed around her frame, through her fenders, inside her trunk, under her roof and behind her seats. Her transmission was chained in and an adjustable camera mounted in her back seat to give the “Drivers point of view”.

“ Eleanor” Is a 1971 Fastback Ford Mustang played the role of a 1973 Mach 1 Ford Mustang, a true lady both beautiful and tough and is the "Star" of Gone in 60 Seconds. Eleanor is the only Ford Mustang in history to receive Star title credit in a movie…making “Eleanor” a household name.

Her measurements are:

Stock Ford 351 cubic inch Windsor (secretly modified by H.B. Halicki)

Four-barrel carburetor with Cruisamatic transmission

H-D-7 in wheels

Goodyear rally GT tries

24-volt electrical system

Fire extinguisher and first-aid kit

Electrical kill switches

Individual locking rear brakes

Fish plating of the undercarriage 3” x 3/8” steel

Removable bullet plating

Toby Halicki, teams up with “Eleanor” and puts her through “The most hair-raising chase scene ever filmed”…. said Car Craft Magazine.

Every precaution was taken to safeguard Toby’s life before he put “Eleanor” through her paces … from heavy duty double strength Simpson shoulder harness and seat belt to deadbolt door locks. In spite of careful planning and technical expertise, “Eleanor” nearly upstaged her driver, Toby, when another driver overshot his mark, clipped “Eleanor” in the rear and sent her and Halicki careening into a light standard in excess of 100 mph. Both “Eleanor” and Toby kept their cool and after two hours of frantic repairs, continued the filming. Toby, although injured, had to wait to hurt later. And again, in an unbelievable 128-foot jump, over 30 feet in the air, “Eleanor” survived and drove away from the scene. However, Halicki wasn’t as fortunate … he received a compressed spine upon impact.

Not satisfied with just being the "Star" in the most ambitious and incredible auto-chase film ever produced, “Eleanor” is furthering her career by making personal appearances in theatre lobbies, car shows, fairs, auto races, shopping centers, TV stations, television news shows across the country and has appeared in the Gone in 60 Seconds series of films.

Her body shows the scars of the movie endeavor, but her motor’s still running and upon request, has known to exhibit some of her many stunts, much to the delight of her fans everywhere…

“Eleanor” still burns rubber…rubber fast and furious … and once again she Stars in the updated Gone in60 Seconds that was released in the summer of 2000.

On the DVD Re-Release of the original Gone In 60 Seconds in late 2000 Eleanor wanted to show everyone that she still has the muscle… with Denice Halicki as a passenger, Eleanor put the Metal-to-the-Petal… she was flying way over 100mph and doing 360’s up at Willow springs race track (see the end of the movies credits to watch Eleanor speed around in “Raceway 2000”).

Eleanor is so pleased that she is being re-manufactured in Toys, Models, and Die-Cast Cars… Manufactured by Racing Champions ERTL & Playing Mantis Johnny Lightning.

Eleanor enjoyed her long stay at the Petersen Automobile Museum for the “Greatest Cars of the Movies” event. She loved cruising with all the great cars at “California Classic Car Rally” on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills and at the other events like “Cars are the Stars”. She was so excited to be asked to the L.A. NASCAR Street Race and show-off some of her stunts for her fans!

Eleanor reeves her engine in thanks!...to all the fans and friends that went wild over her car chase scene and that keeps her and “Gone in 60 Seconds” in the top 10 of all Car Chase movie polls and Horn Honk!...to all the Magazines and Newspapers for all the great quotes…

“ONE OF THE GREATEST CAR CHASE MOVIE EVER” …USA Today

“YOU HAVE TO LOVE A MOVIE WHERE A CAR (Eleanor) GETS TITLE BILLING” …Los Angeles Times

“THE MOST HAIR-RASING CHASE SCENE EVER FILMED” …Car Craft Magazine

“HER 40-MINTUE CLIMACTIC CAR CHASE, IS A JAW-DROPPING SEQUENCE” ...Minneapolis Star Tribune

“SHE’S A FOUR-WHEEL EVEL KNIEVEL” … Los Angeles Weekly

“THE FREE WHEELING, BREAKNECK CHASE that makes the FAMED PURSUITS IN ‘BULLITT’ AND ‘THE FRENCH CONNECTION’ look like ‘DRIVING MISS DAISY’ …The Chicago times

Last edited by a moderator:
if you but the movie there are extras that show the car today going around and doing donuts hahaha. Apparently the part where he hit's the telephone pole was not in the script {ouch} and he was badly injured. they took the car fixed it so it would run and when he was healed he started filming again.

Autobahnraser is another good movie to see a 72 fastback,its not in english but its only the car that matters lol
And it's probably one of the worst movies ever made!!!

They shot most of it here in Luxembourg in the area where I used to live. I'd always have to take a detour to drive to work because they had blocked a section of the freeway I had to take. In the morning you could see the cars parked on a trailer on a lot next to an exit.

Did you know that the Mustang did not survive the filming, although it is not harmed in the movie?

The production firm had contacted our local Mustang club to see if anyone wanted to supply their Mustangs for the filming. Turned out that it it was a smart move that none of us would! :)

Back