Question on mounting coolers on Radiator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
So, on my 73, the radiator looks to be a two core unit. I intend to mount my trans and PS coolers to the front of the radiator. My question is, the distant between the front face of the radiator and the core support frame that surrounds the radiator, does that distance change with 3 and 4 row radiators? I want to make sure I don’t freeze my options with the hose routings by not understanding this. Thanks.

Maybe I asked the question in a confusing way. If you have a 2, 3, or 4 core radiator in a 73 coup, does it change the distance of the face of the radiator to the face of the core support OR if you add more rows of core, does that bring the rear face of the radiator closer to the fan blade? It’s got to be one or both. TY

Automatic transmission cars share the core - there are passages for water and passages for automatic transmission fluid.

To answer your specific question, it moves the radiator faces in both directions. The cores are roughly centered on the clamps.

Back