Questions about factory mounting holes on core support

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
I’m in the planning stage for mounting a transmission cooler and power steering cooler in front of the radiator, to the core support. My primary problem, when I got my car, it was missing front grill, headlight, etc parts. So, because of that and a lack of information about these factory mounting points, I’m not sure what they’re for. Here are the points I’m interested in using. The first photo, those slotted holes and holes with the thread clip, two on each side. Does anyone know what they were originally for?
512F9059-82C7-4869-BBEA-653F4B490662.jpeg

Also, these two welded nuts, two on each side of the core support opening. Does anyone know what they’re for?
2B24B073-6020-474D-9E81-B90224621B57.jpeg

I have a factory A/C car, but I don’t have any of the factory parts that attached to the core support. I suspect some of those holes were/are part of that. Thank you for informing me, Steve.

Can someone point me in the right direction where I might find an illustration, exploded view type, that would aid me in determine the purposes of these core support opening and fasteners? TY

Last edited:
Great pic, I wasn’t able to find one this good, thanks. I want to use those weld-nuts to attach brackets to hang coolers with, but was unsure how much room I had with the future condenser I’ve got to attach. That pic does it fir me.

Back