Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueoval71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
Hello!

I purchased my 71 coupe from a coworker almost 20 years ago. It was in fair condition at the time but all that mattered was that I owned a Mustang! In the first year and a half I did all poly bushings, KYB shocks, front springs, rear leafs (to level/drop the car), bump steer, eccentric eliminator kit, front/rear sway bar and obnoxiously heavy Cragar Street Stars. After slowing my car down with cheap 3 piece steel wheels (ever try to run in ski boots) I decided it was time for more power. I met an engine builder at the Pomona swap meet and had him set up an oddball 351 Windsor to replace my 302. I happened upon a 9" rear end out of a Lincoln Versailles CHEAP and picked up a 355 limited slip. After some odd looks (front drum/rear disc) I found Granada brakes that bolted up. Somewhere along the line I picked up a mach 1 hood and a case of Krylon rattle can primer. This was my daily driver for a total of 8 years and then I got frustrated with trying to restore what I was driving full time. I parked it almost 12 years ago so I could work on it and didn't. Shame on me! Well its time to get back on track. Basically I'm scrapping everything and completely starting over, now that there are actually restoration parts other than door panels and carpet kits.

Last edited by a moderator:

turtle5353

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hello!

I purchased my 71 coupe from a coworker almost 20 years ago. It was in fair condition at the time but all that mattered was that I owned a Mustang! In the first year and a half I did all poly bushings, KYB shocks, front springs, rear leafs (to level/drop the car), bump steer, eccentric eliminator kit, front/rear sway bar and obnoxiously heavy Cragar Street Stars. After slowing my car down with cheap 3 piece steel wheels (ever try to run in ski boots) I decided it was time for more power. I met an engine builder at the Pomona swap meet and had him set up an oddball 351 Windsor to replace my 302. I happened upon a 9" rear end out of a Lincoln Versailles CHEAP and picked up a 355 limited slip. After some odd looks (front drum/rear disc) I found Granada brakes that bolted up. Somewhere along the line I picked up a mach 1 hood aThis was my daily driver for a total of 8 years and then I got frustrated with trying to restore what I was driving. I parked it almost 12 years ago so I could work on it and didn't.
Welcome. Sounds like a nice car. How did the granada brake swap go? I have a granada sitting here that i am planning on taking the spindles and brakes off of for my 71 mach 1.

Kevin

Blueoval71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
It was a straight forward bolt on at the spindle. I don't remember what master cylinder I used though (17+ years ago)

Steven Harris

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande,
1973 MAch 1
Welcome BlueOval71.

Glad to have you here with us. Yep, time to take a deep breath and dive in!

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Welcome to the forums! Glad o have you aboard! Keep us posted with lots of pics!

::welcome::

OLE PONY

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
Welcome to the forum. At least you were able to hang onto it all these years. Keep us posted on your progress.

Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
WELCOME aboard!

It sounds as if you have really been "into it" over the years. I would think you will be able to pick up some GREAT ideas here as we have Restorers, Modifiers and EVERYTHING in between. Have you decided on where you want to "end up" on this particular journey?

Again, Welcome to the Site and I look forward to interacting with you on the Forums.

BT

c9zx

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
::welcome:: Great site! Chuck

whitesoc

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible

08 Bullet
::welcome:

and I can't believe that Roy let this one go without his usual comment :worthlesswithoutpics:

we'd love to see some pics!

Tnfastbk

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
::welcome:

and I can't believe that Roy let this one go without his usual comment :worthlesswithoutpics:

we'd love to see some pics!
I knew you had my back. With these long hours at work, and getting old, sometimes the mind slips:p

72fastback

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang fastback,{mine} 74 Chevy Nova {girlfriends car}
2001 Sunfire that is falling apart haha.
Welcome to the site. It's never to late to make amends with the lack of attention on a car. Can't wait to see picks and the progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.