Quickjack car lift - opinions?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustangandy

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Cobra Jet 429 Ram Air C6 auto 3.50 traction loc
[url=https://ibb.co/Wtx4kTW][img]https://i.ibb.co/dgWwPh0/mine1.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi All

Has anyone got or used one of these car lifts by Quickjack? If so what do you reckon? What size is the correct one for our cars - the 70" or 75" frame length? (5000lb weight would be fine I'm sure). 

Seems to be quite a good system from the reviews I've read in general and from you tube video's. Price is reasonable, it's quick to actually use and, with the rubber blocks, gives almost 2 feet of lift height for working under the car. What makes it appeal especially is that there would be open access underneath the car, no bits getting in the way like there is with most other similar lift systems. I've already got ramps, axle stands and trolley jacks but set up time and, more importantly, the clearance is not so great for a car this low. Wish I could get a 2 post lift but space means that's not gonna happen sadly.

Cheers

I would not trust this while under the car... I bought something beefier as i could not fit a 2 or 4 post in my garage and get the necessary lift height. I bought a Babco scissor lift which I trust. In fact, i completed my recent vert restoration using one of these with no issues. Obviously, can't get under the center of the car, but most of the work is either at the front or rear of the car and there is lots of room. I researched this unit you posted, maybe good for quick tire changes, but I don't think it is built to last and to trust long term under a car. My 2 cents...

71 Vert Stripping on My New Hoist.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not familiar with them.

I did not have space limits in my garage so I have a 10,000 lb. two post Danmar lift. There price was great and three year warranty. I put it up by myself using a engine hoist. Had to rent concrete drill only too 30 min. to drill all the holes.

They do make compact versions of two post that can be moved also. Here is a link to where I bought mine. They have lots of different brands.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Dannmar-2-Post-Lifts-s/495.htm?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20-%20NonTM-%20Lifts-%20Brand-%20General&utm_term=Danmar%20Two%20Post%20Lift&utm_content=Dannmar%202%20Post%20Lifts

I would not trust this while under the car... I bought something beefier as i could not fit a 2 or 4 post in my garage and get the necessary lift height. I bought a Babco scissor lift which I trust. In fact, i completed my recent vert restoration using one of these with no issues. Obviously, can't get under the center of the car, but most of the work is either at the front or rear of the car and there is lots of room. I researched this unit you posted, maybe good for quick tire changes, but I don't think it is built to last and to trust long term under a car. My 2 cents...
Cheers. Yes that certainly looks more sturdy. I'm really after an open centre lift though. I'll keep looking.

I don't know if I would crawl under it, but that being said :

When the QuickJack Portable Car Lift is used according to our instructions (vehicle frame’s lifting points properly engaged, weight capacity not exceeded, etc.) the lift is safer and more stable than any jack stand on the market. In fact, QuickJack has been awarded EC-Type Examination Certificate. Safety systems, strength-of-design, manufacturing quality and electrical compliance are just a few things that these third-part testing laboratories investigate rigorously before awarding certification.

http://www.quickjack.com/why-quickjack/quickjack-safe-to-use-without-jack-stands/

Not familiar with them.

I did not have space limits in my garage so I have a 10,000 lb. two post Danmar lift. There price was great and three year warranty. I put it up by myself using a engine hoist. Had to rent concrete drill only too 30 min. to drill all the holes.

They do make compact versions of two post that can be moved also. Here is a link to where I bought mine. They have lots of different brands.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Dannmar-2-Post-Lifts-s/495.htm?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20-%20NonTM-%20Lifts-%20Brand-%20General&utm_term=Danmar%20Two%20Post%20Lift&utm_content=Dannmar%202%20Post%20Lifts
Thanks David. I've had a look but, with the room I have in the barn, and the rough concrete floor that it has (itself on a bed of clay - no proper foundations at all in older houses in France!) they wouldn't be suitable either I'm afraid.

I've come across some other open centre, scissor jack type lifts, much more sturdy but the weight of them is like 500kg, therefore not really portable so I'd have to regard them as fixed. Which would mean having to drive over them every time I took the car out and put it back. Yes space is at a premium!

I don't know if I would crawl under it, but that being said :

When the QuickJack Portable Car Lift is used according to our instructions (vehicle frame’s lifting points properly engaged, weight capacity not exceeded, etc.) the lift is safer and more stable than any jack stand on the market. In fact, QuickJack has been awarded EC-Type Examination Certificate. Safety systems, strength-of-design, manufacturing quality and electrical compliance are just a few things that these third-part testing laboratories investigate rigorously before awarding certification.

http://www.quickjack.com/why-quickjack/quickjack-safe-to-use-without-jack-stands/
Thanks mudbilly. Yes the specs do seem more than sufficient for these cars, with over a tonne of spare lifting capacity. They are quite light really at 100kg so plenty portable at least.

Quick jack has a locking arm to be safe. I’ve heard great stuff about them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Quick jack and I am generally pretty happy with it. I have learned a couple of things using it that will become second nature with use. First never stack the rubber blocks. Use either the tall or the short ones but not both. When raising the car make sure it is in neutral because it is a radial lift and in the first few inches of lifting it will shift on the frame if the car can't roll forward. Make sure both lift frames are parallel to each other and positioned identically on each side of the car. Even though the car is quite sturdy on this lift I will still put a couple of Jack stands loosly under the axles just so that I feel safer. (I did have my car fall off the hoist when I first got it but that was all my fault for not reading the directions :) )

One thing to look for in a lift is if it has been certified. It is not a requirement to pass a certification and before I bought one was viewing video online. Some of the cheap lifts that were not certified would fold up when they tested them to the max capacity.

In my mfg. background most testing of products I was involved with went to double the rated capacity. One that I remember was at John Deere for the Gator vehicles. We were working on a new design for the bed and they advertise 1,000 lbs. capacity but when testing put 2,000 lbs. in. People always overload their equipment. I have probably hauled 4 or 5 times the limit in my Ford P.U..

The lifts do not seem to have lots of over build in them and for sure the one's that are not tested I would not purchase at all.

This is link to the people that do the certifications in the U.S.. Like I say not required but if it has this seal then good to go for rated capacity.

https://www.autolift.org/auto-lift-institute-vehicle-lift-certification-program/

ALI-Certified-Automotive-Lift-2015Gold-Label-on-lift-cropped-view-1024x278.png

There have been many threads over the years about quickjacks on the Garage Journal. It seems they are popular with racers for track side maintenance. Do a search there and you can read until your eyes bleed.

Here is one example.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239561&highlight=quickjack&page=28
I hate it when my eyes bleed, lol.

I have changed a rear end sitting in the road using two bumper jacks. Now that is shaky for sure. Most are pretty safe or they would be in court all the time getting sued.

I've been relooking at other options and have now settled on this design from a UK company CJ Auto (might have seen something very similar from Jegs?). Just waiting on a quote for delivery to france as all 4 would weight 200kg. Each lift raises vertically so no roll forward/backwards for the car, raises from wheels (rather than under chasis rails) so better access all around the car, including under the sill area, and total weight capacity about 2.7 tons. Hydraulic lift but via foot pump rather than electric so a bit of exercise. Advantage over the quicklift will be that you can raise a single wheel up and also just the front and/or back separately. Lift height 18.5 inches so enough to effectively do most maintenance really. Base price about $1500. If I go with them I'll post a review.

Back