quirky fuel issue for opinions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
On my 71 mach 1 351c, I recently had an oil filled fuel pressure gauge go from reading normal (5-6lbs) to reading zero even though engine ran fine. This was installed into an NPT T fitting that is between the pump steel line to carb. Thinking it was the gauge, I ordered another oil filled one and installed it.

Started the car and the needle in the gauge was jumping and engine was surging, barely running, to the point where it wouldnt idle. The only thing that was changed at this point was the new gauge in the NPT fitting.
I didnt determine if the engine was flooding or not getting fuel.

Thought it could be some fuel pump issue. but started with the simplest fix. Removed the gauge rubber line and installed a piece of 5/16 line where the gauge was, between the steel line to carb.

Engine starts and run fine!

BUT I was wondering how that could be the reason or what am I overlooking??? Checked the gauge rubber line and T fitting and didnt see any blockage, I dont believe there is a fuel pump issue. Maybe a stuck needle valve or float that was making the engine run flooded?? Could the gauge have been over tightened in the T fitting and somehow restricting fuel?

I dunno..any other opinions?

Sheriff, Thanks for your thoughts on this issue. I checked the gauge NPT threads that were screwed into the NPT T fitting and there is a section that was not covered by the Permatex paste. That most likely has to be the issue since the 'problem' went away once I removed the gauge.

Although I've used the PTFE paste for connections in the past, I'm wondering if I should have used the teflon tape for this or used the PTFE paste correctly.

thanks!

Back