Radiator Shroud Size

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
My motor is a 351 C.  It was an ac motor. However, I deleted the ac. I purchased and installed a new fan shroud. With the shroud installed, I have over 50% of the fan blade exposed. The fan is mounted directly to the pulley without any spacer between the fan and pulley, or between the pulley and water pump. Did I miss something?

The shroud looks correct, but your fan does not, its a clutch fan. My advice is run it and see if it overheats before trying to fix something that may not be broken.

Stock did have aluminum spacer that went on the stub of the water pump shaft that comes through the drive pulley. You had 4 long bolts that held the fan and spacer on. Of course the original was a flex fan which did have a recall for some models that were flying apart. Think they actually had Ford tech get injured or killed.

I do not have a pic showing the spacer I would guess about 3" long.

Klinton 994,

It looks like the standard fan spacer measures 2-5/8'' so measure from the water pump pulley to the fan and see if you are close to that measurement.

If you come up short, pretty sure you can buy fan spacers of just about any thickness.

or hope someone chimes in with an actual measurement from the front of the fan to radiator.

I am running pretty much the same setup except 429 3 core radiator and have no issues.

Boilermaster

Klinton 994,

It looks like the standard fan spacer measures 2-5/8'' so measure from the water pump pulley to the fan and see if you are close to that measurement.

If you come up short, pretty sure you can buy fan spacers of just about any thickness.

or hope someone chimes in with an actual measurement from the front of the fan to radiator.

I am running pretty much the same setup except 429 3 core radiator and have no issues.
From water pump pulley to back of fan is about 1.75”

A 2 5/8” spacer May put the clutch fan into the radiator.

The shroud looks correct, but your fan does not, its a clutch fan. My advice is run it and see if it overheats before trying to fix something that may not be broken.
I’ve only had the car out a few times with new motor. Temp gauge stayed in upper portion operating range. I was concerned with the safety aspect of the exposed blades. 

Is a clutch fan a bad idea. It was on the car when purchased.

I have a 351 Cleveland with an aftermarket clutch fan, stock shroud and 3 row radiator. I did add a fan spacer. I forgot exactly how thick, 1//2 or 3/4. I can get you some measurements of how far from radiator and shroud tomorrow if you need. I have a 180* thermostat in and it runs right around that, little warmer in stop and go traffic, but it’s never overheated. Very happy with the clutch fan and it’s much safer and quieter than the flex fan. Here’s a pic of it.

I’ve only had the car out a few times with new motor. Temp gauge stayed in upper portion operating range. I was concerned with the safety aspect of the exposed blades. 

Here is mine, fan should be half into the shroud, clutch fans are a good thing.

Klinton 994,

From water pump pulley to back of fan is about 1.75”

A 2 5/8” spacer May put the clutch fan into the radiator.
Klinton 994,

a 7/8'' spacer will put your clutch fan in the same place as the standard flex fan that uses the 2-5/8'' spacer.

I was NOT suggesting that you use a 2-5/8'' spacer, but trying to get you to compare the length of that 2-5/8'' spacer to the length of your fan clutch.

Boilermaster

Just for grins... You won't want one of these, but this is the 2 5/8" spacer that everyone is referencing. The only reason why anyone would want one of these is if they were putting together a "correct" car. The a new fan with a clutch and a small spacer is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
you are missing the spacer.. if u don't have one u can go to pep boys.. they carry different sizes. for me i'd get the back end of fan so it's even with the back of shroud and u have no more then 1/2" clearance from fan to shroud, side to side that is.

No, you're fine. The fan will stop before it does any real damage, unlike a solid mounted fan.

No, it's a great idea. Quieter, uses less energy, safer etc. I've been running clutched fans for decades.

Never had an issue of any kind with the stock set up. There is a reason the factory went this route, so if you maintain the engine, no issues. Many choose to alter as they see fit, some may be better then factory (progress?), some not so much. Good luck with the fix as some have suggested here...

I have a 351 Cleveland with an aftermarket clutch fan, stock shroud and 3 row radiator. I did add a fan spacer. I forgot exactly how thick, 1//2 or 3/4. I can get you some measurements of how far from radiator and shroud tomorrow if you need. I have a 180* thermostat in and it runs right around that, little warmer in stop and go traffic, but it’s never overheated. Very happy with the clutch fan and it’s much safer and quieter than the flex fan. Here’s a pic of it.

I removed the radiator today. It has a small leak. I measured between my clutch fan and radiator. I have a comfortable 2” between them. I will be installing a 180 degree thermostat and brass restrictor plate.

Just for grins... You won't want one of these, but this is the 2 5/8" spacer that everyone is referencing. The only reason why anyone would want one of these is if they were putting together a "correct" car. The a new fan with a clutch and a small spacer is the way to go.

Back