Radiator support difference convertible/coupe??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently replaced my vert's radiator support with the same one.  No modifications made.  I used a 240v spot welder from Harbor Freight.  They have a 120v, but it was not strong enough to penetrate the heavy steal at the lower supports. For the 240v source, plugged into the dryer plug in the house and ran an extension out to the garage.

240V Spot Welder (harborfreight.com)https://www.harborfreight.com/240v-spot-welder-61206.html

I have photos of the entire process if you want them.

Radiator Support (74).jpg

Radiator Support (79).jpg

I recently replaced my vert's radiator support with the same one.  No modifications made.  I used a 240v spot welder from Harbor Freight.  They have a 120v, but it was not strong enough to penetrate the heavy steal at the lower supports. For the 240v source, plugged into the dryer plug in the house and ran an extension out to the garage.
Interesting.  I recently did my radiator support and didn't even think to use my HF spot welder.  I have the 110 version, still unopened in the box from a year ago.  I keep forgetting I have it.

I picked up a bottle of gas and use the HF mig/tig/stick welder.  I did the ol' drill, weld, grind, paint routine.  It came out pretty good.

Does the spot welder burn through the paint or do you need to grind anything to bare metal first?  And do you need any special arms or contact points for it?

Screenshot_20210623_223344.png

Screenshot_20210623_223417.png

Screenshot_20210623_223447.png

For the spot welder, it 'must' be down to pure metal.  Any primer remaining can interfere on all contact surfaces.  So you need to clean 4 basic sides. I painted the support before putting it on the car and then cleaned down the contact area to metal.  Drilled out the original welds only on the old panel.  Did not go through the forward aprons.  This way, it was clean sheet of metal over another clean sheet.  The 240v was needed at the lower frame supports.  The upper welds to the aprons you can use the smaller 120v welder and plug into house current; or use the 240v; just don't burn through.

For the upper welds at the aprons, you need an extension on the driver's side due to the downward angle as shown in the photo below.  The passenger's side was down with the short probes.

Radiator Support (75).jpg

Radiator Support (77).jpg

Radiator Support (82).jpg

Back