Radiator trans cooler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande 351C
71 Mach 1 429CJ
Another afternoon under the car. Removed the old rusty trans cooling lines to radiator, and measured length for the new custom lines i'm going to let fabricate this week.

Refusing to remove the exhaust for extra space, lost 1 hour to get one of the fitting loose on the FMX trans... Couple of bruises further finally got it.

Before put back the new ones, I'd like to flush/clean the radiator core part as I've noticed very little oil came out of it.

Just to make sure its having a good/enough flow.

How could I do that without making a mess? I could reuse the old top fitting and inject some fresh oil??

In case it's bit clogged, what kind of cleaner should I use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another afternoon under the car. Removed the old rusty trans cooling lines to radiator, and measured length for the new custom lines i'm going to let fabricate this week.

Refusing to remove the exhaust for extra space, lost 1 hour to get one of the fitting loose on the FMX trans... Couple of bruises further finally got it.

Before put back the new ones, I'd like to purge/clean the radiator core part as I've noticed very little oil came out of it.

Just to make sure its having a good/enough flow.

How could I do that without making a mess? In case it's bit clogged, what kind of cleaner should I use?
With it on the car it will be tough. I usually put in parts washer and let it pump the cleaner through it and go both ways then blow out and then use brake cleaner and hold white paper towel over end and blow out again to see if anything comes out. If it does clean some more.

I do not think that the transmission fluid will build up any sludge to block the passages but not an expert on that for sure. I know some of the new vehicles they actually suggest you do not even try to clean but replace if you have a transmission failure.

brake cleaner and bits of air to dry/blow it out... Is break cleaner fluid not too corrosive?

[With it on the car it will be tough]

yeah hence my question, somehow when I touch trans fluid it always ends up in shiny floor and funky hair cut :)

Meanwhile recalled I still have that rear axle oil syringe I could connect to upper fitting and bit of the old line tube...

Should allow me to feel the pressure and control the flux (and mess)

[some of the new vehicles they actually suggest you do not even try to clean but replace]

ain't it the same advise for everything these days? It's dirty so buy new one...

In this case, the thing is literally drown in oil, so not expecting corrosion in there and it will be reused

till I swap the FMX to an AOD and add a standalone trans cooler.

if i were doing it.. pulling both lines off and put a rag in front of the lower fitting. carb spray the heck out of it into the upper fitting. blow out with air, then brake cleaner the same way and blow out with air. u should see a good flow of carb cleaner coming out, if not partal plug.

Back