Radio install help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am ready to install my radio but have some questions on how to support it? I don’t have that “L” bracket that attaches to the back so I’m wondering how to support it? Also I dont see how it clips into the bottom bracket, my dash has a big double opening for the HVAC controls on bottom and radio above it. If I had the bracket and clipped it to the bottom it would be In the way of the HVAC controls? am I missing a box or something that goes in that space to Support the radio?

Also should the long center console (between the seats)go in before the center bezel?

thanks!

For a proper installation, you need the support bracket. It keys into the dash frame of the radio opening. Center console can go in before or after, doesn't matter. You can remove the upper plate if you need the clearance.

@Motorcity Mustang or @OMS might have the bracket.

Factory radio or aftermarket? If aftermarket, you probably don't need the bracket. Factory radios are heavy and ground via the metal chassis which use the bracket as a ground connection as well as the metal face plate bracket.

I am out of town right now, but will look to see if I have any left. Don at Ohio Mustang may have one also if you need it sooner.

If you can't find one you can make your own out of some sheet metal. That is what I did, and it worked well. Depending on the gauge of the sheet metal you may need to fold it to get the strength needed and then bent it to shape. Not that hard to do. Here is a picture of one for reference.

1657287587531.png

Thanks everyone! I fabricated a piece of metal based on the design above and it fit right in (after some tweaking!). Now to decide if I cut up the center console to make my B&M shifter fit or just leave it out…….

Don't cut it up. To valuable and hard to find. Leave it out. Here is mine with a B&M. I added a trans temp gauge and a wideband O2 on the side. Since this picture I added a Holey Sniper and the display is mounted at the rear. Attach is a picture - not the best but it looks good mounted off the rear of the bezel.

Gauges.jpg

Display.jpg

Don't cut it up. To valuable and hard to find. Leave it out. Here is mine with a B&M. I added a trans temp gauge and a wideband O2 on the side. Since this picture I added a Holey Sniper and the display is mounted at the rear. Attach is a picture - not the best but it looks good mounted off the rear of the bezel.

View attachment 65489

View attachment 65490

Thanks. That’s the same shifter I have. I was going to add trans temp, oil temp, and fuel pressure in the center console but that looked like a major hack to get them all to fit right!

Back