rag joint on correct?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO Not even close. The bolt will need to pass through the groove. It needs to go on all the way. Make sure the flat is aligned also.

EDIT:  You need to remove the bolt to slide the splined portion on all the way. Forgot to mention that.

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned, the rag joint need to go on further so that the bolt is inline with the groove. But what more confusing, it looks like parts are missing. Here is a pic of my old one and notice the circled studs and bolts that fit to the steering column.  Why the difference??

ragjoint.jpg

As mentioned, the rag joint need to go on further so that the bolt is inline with the groove. But what more confusing, it looks like parts are missing. Here is a pic of my old one and notice the circled studs and bolts that fit to the steering column.  Why the difference??

View attachment 49515
I'm not sure, but it looks like it is on a tilt column. I'm only familiar with fixed columns and that is the rag joint you show.

If on a tilt column the Ford assembly manual shows putting a 1/8" diameter pin in the middle of the rubber to put a bow in for some reason. I do not have a pic of the manual. You do need to get the coupling down to where the bolt is in radius groove. There are marks on the steering shaft on inside of car and I forget the orientation they need to be to hook up the shaft. I am headed to garage in a bit will see if the car in paint room is in place I can get some pics. Everything has to be timed out so the steering wheel is right.

That looks right for a tilt column, with the single 'D' on the steering shaft. Some of the tilt column rag joints did not have the safety pins, some did. I know that at least one of David's has the pins. It may be related to the vehicle year.

yes, i’m going take off to put pittman arm, i’ll get the part number then

no part number is on the rag joint, i got it off ebay 
Yes, sorry, a closer look shows it to be good used part. I'm glad I don't have a tilt column on mine now. 

As I said before in a previous post, Ford could have made them both the same for tilt and non-tilt, but as I think it was Don who mentioned that the tilt column has to be assembled/disassembled from the bottom end and why it does not have the welded on attachment like the non-tilt. 

I just find it odd that it appears no-one makes a reproduction coupler for the tilt column. Not enough volume I guess.

Back