Rag joint question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73MACH1WV

Reaction score
My Car
1973 MACH 1 Q CODE, BLUE GLOW IN COLOR 4 SPEED
I JUST STARTED A RESTORATION AND WILL BE EAGERLY VIEWING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE DURING MY BUILD.
I'm converting over to power steering from manual and would like to know if there is a difference in the lower rag joint between the two gear boxes.

I believe that there are two different lower rag joints sizes that go to the gear box shaft, 3/4 36 and 13/16 36 spline. are the manual and power steering gear shaft to rag joint (OEM) the same? and I could use my existing rag joint which is in really good shape or do I need a new lower rag joint

if not what size is the manual and what size would the p/s be.

Can anyone help me ? 1973 mustang manual steering

thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have the sizes, but there were three different ones used on 71-3 Mustang's. Manual steering, power steering with tilt wheel, and P/S non tilt. It made no difference if you had the Ford or Saginaw steering box. Maybe someone else will have the sizes you asked about. Good luck on your project!

The steer boxes do have 2 possible different sizes of input shafts (the splined shaft from the box). I do not know which size is for which options though. I have an SPA-T (non salvageable core) that I will check for you and get back to you.

Here are the 2 that I am aware of:

13/16" 31 spline input shaft with flat ground surface on side of input shaft, 3-1/4" OD rag. OR

3/4" 36 spline full round input shaft with 3-1/4" rag.

ok thanks, the output shaft that's on my manual is a full round so it must be a 3/4 36 spline, my new p/s gear box should be here tomorrow so ill check it, if it has the flat spot I can assume it will be 13/16 31 spline,

thanks for your help......

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm in the same boat with a 73 'vert, and want to switch over to ps, where did you orders your from, price? thanks

I ordered an original re-man from auto zone 128.00 it should bolt right up. I also ordered a pressure and return line from NPD for about 50.00. I have an original p/s pump and brackets from a donor car,,,,that's about all I should have in it other than sorting out the rag joint issue

I'm back to square one..... autozone can't get a p/s gear box, so back to the search for a box.... looks like I might be buying a borgerson unit 450.00 plus that's about all that is available. no core charge hassle tho....I guess I wont get off as cheap as I though it could be done for.

I'm back to square one..... autozone can't get a p/s gear box, so back to the search for a box.... looks like I might be buying a borgerson unit 450.00 plus that's about all that is available. no core charge hassle tho....I guess I won't get off as cheap as I though it could be done for.
I may be able to offer help here. I am rebuilding my box. a Saginaw 800 SPA-T variable ratio PS box because I found that most rebuilds are "what ever ratio" and they don't list what it actually is. I contacted Cardone and was told their rebuilds are all 24:1 or 4-5 turns LTL. No good for me. I found Buy Auto Parts.com, they list a "Quick Ratio" (QR) PS box for $381.15, but do not say what the QR actually is. After some hunting, I found Mustangs Plus lists boxes of all ratios. Look on their website under steering. I needed to find this for myself as well just in case my "rebuild" is NFG when I get my engine back in and power it all up again. Hope this helps.

Don't waste you money on cheap 125 dollar rebuilds. Read the reviews.

If you want to rebuild yours, there are some good videos on You Tube. Use Duralast complete kit number 8522 from Autozone for about 60 bucks. It comes with the new bearings. The one I bought from NPD doesn't and I needed to buy them separately, but no big deal for me. It is NOT that hard to do if you have mechanical abilities.

Geoff.

Don't have the sizes, but there were three different ones used on 71-3 Mustang's. Manual steering, power steering with tilt wheel, and P/S non tilt. It made no difference if you had the Ford or Saginaw steering box. Maybe someone else will have the sizes you asked about. Good luck on your project!
I did not realize the tilt was different. I just put one of the Dorman joints on my 73 tilt vert. It seems to work fine. Nothing on that end of the column moves why would it be different?

David

Thanks for the input, looks like I'm going to the Borgeson conversion gear box 407.00 from CJ pony Parts......the hard part was getting a 1/2 17 mm dd rag joint. Borgeson is changing locations and they wont be available until march/april. so I found a full rag 17mm dd 3/4 rag from summit I'll just rob the lower half for my application.

I'm paying an extra 25.00 bucks but I will have it Tuesday...

Back