Ram-Air air cleaner modification

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeZapU

Reaction score
My Car
12 GT
73 Mach 1
85 GT
66 F-100
Even before getting my new engine all done and running, I had suspicions that my original ram-air air cleaner might not fit under the hood. Primarily because of the differences between my then 2v Weiand X-cellerator and now 4v Blue Thunder intake manifold. I wouldn't know for sure until after it was all installed and I could start checking. Well, this combo and original air cleaner had it being too high by about 1/4", flat to the metal lip of the air cleaner.

I was not about to cut up my original air cleaner so I ordered one of the Dynacorn reproduction units to modify to fit. It wasn't really all that cosmic, but it did take some time as the welding was awkward and the metal was thin. Here are some pictures of the beginning phases of the project. I saw this done with a 429 Ram-Air assembly in the past so I figured I could do the same.

I determined that with the crush of the seal that I wanted and the space available, I ended up installing a 5/8" sheet metal spacer ring around the circumference of the carb mounting hat. I first tried a 1" spacer but the outside bottom edge of the air cleaner was rubbing on the throttle linkage. I next tried 3/4" and I realized the air gap for air to enter the barb(space between the air cleaner plenum and air cleaner lid) was pretty small and I wanted to keep it as large and free flowing as possible. 1/2" would not really be enough to give a good hood seal squish. It would, but the seal would be squashed flat. That's how I ended up at 5/8". A lot of give and take with this decision.

IMG_3036_zpsegzlufjb.jpg

IMG_3037_zpsazxdh0d2.jpg

IMG_3038_zpsuvlgda6x.jpg

IMG_3041_zps5znsssup.jpg

IMG_3042_zpss9jaxdwb.jpg

IMG_3043_zpsxk0onhm6.jpg

IMG_3044_zpsynwnp1ow.jpg

IMG_3046_zps7gyps8ib.jpg

IMG_3047_zpsojiu4xab.jpg

IMG_3048_zps8rkslrqy.jpg

IMG_3049_zpst54r0cxi.jpg

Nice job on the mod but I do have a question. So if I understand right you are dropping the air cleaner assembly 5/8", will the front still clear the distributor and you will be using a taller filter element, correct?

The filter element stays the same. Plenty of room over the distributor cap since the intake is taller vs a stock intake.

So with the 5/8" band around the body of the air cleaner and same air cleaner height you will move the air cleaner lid down 5/8" closer to the bottom of the body.

The shape in the lower part of the air cleaner and the lid on the air cleaner is developed to give a better air flow like the back side of a valve, angles and radius. The Dyancorn lids have a different shape on them that a real Ford one for some reason, do not know why they cannot make a copy. It is designed to do a venture affect on the airflow, speed it up. Hope you do not restrict the airflow coming into the carb between the lid and the body of the air cleaner. The gap where the filter is remains the same but the gap inside where the air flows into the carb is 5/8" less. Make sense?

David

David,

That is what I was trying to emphasize in regards to the spacing selection. I estimate a 1" gap around the circumference of the air cleaner hat(between the base and lid) where the air enters the carb. From my math calculations it still has just over 38 sq/in of space to pull air through, this as perfectly adequate for my 400hp power level and road tests have shown no ill effects or a perceived restriction.

You cannot simply install a taller filter element to gain more room as the lid will contact the housing at the 6-o-clock position at the rear of the air cleaner. There is only about a 1/8" gap there. I am using a 3" tall K&N filter element in case anyone wants to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
David,

That is what I was trying to emphasize in regards to the spacing selection. I estimate a 1" gap around the circumference of the air cleaner hat(between the base and lid) where the air enters the carb. From my math calculations it still has just over 38 sq/in of space to pull air through, this as perfectly adequate for my 400hp power level and road tests have shown no ill effects or a perceived restriction.

You cannot simply install a taller filter element to gain more room as the lid will contact the housing at the 6-o-clock position at the rear of the air cleaner. There is only about a 1/8" gap there. I am using a 3" tall K&N filter element in case anyone wants to know.
Mike,

Hope you did not take my comment wrong. I think you did a great job trying to keep your car looking stock but make it preform better.

David

Back