Ram Air Element thickness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Curious question.

Is the Ram Air Filter element thicker than a stock air cleaner element?

I ask because with a standard element in the air cleaner I run out of threads on the center bolt before the wing nut reaches the lid.  Yes I bought the "correct" bolt and wingnut from a Mustang vendor.

Any thoughts?

kcmash

OMS

Vendors
Reaction score
My Car
xxx
Curious question.

Is the Ram Air Filter element thicker than a stock air cleaner element?

I ask because with a standard element in the air cleaner I run out of threads on the center bolt before the wing nut reaches the lid.  Yes I bought the "correct" bolt and wingnut from a Mustang vendor.

Any thoughts?

kcmash
NAPA # 2116 is  a little over 2 5/8 tall

Reaction score
Hello kcmash,

You will find that there are going to minute differences in the filter height between manufacturers. The 71-2 ram air housing used a Motorcraft FA-50 (Ford P/N C8AZ-9601-A) which is 2.80" in height. Because of the increased carburetor height as a result of the EGR plate, the 73 air filter housing was redesigned to use a shorter height air filter element. The 73 ram air filter is Motorcraft FA-41 (Ford P/N B7SZ-9601-A) which has a 2.22" height.