Ram air hood

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to replace my standard hood with a NACA (ram air). Can't seem to find a good used local factory Ford hood. Any suggestions on the aftermarket? I don't want fiberglass, steel hood is preferred. Is the NPD hood better than the CJPony ones? Other manufacturer options? Can't seem to find a definitive answer on Google.

After a ton of online research, coupled with information from a large group of our forum members I landed on this hood. I could not be more pleased with the fit and finish of the hood. I purchased mine from a home grown shop in Austin, Texas and then drove to the DFW metroplex to hand pick my hood. It was very well packaged and I believe it will ship safely to your address if necessary. There are a couple of pictures and backstory in my build thread.

https://goldenstarauto.com/products...-nasa-scoop-holes?_pos=1&_sid=d2a9176f3&_ss=r
IMHO, this is how I would rate aftermarket NACA/NASA hoods, as available thru your vendor of choice:

1. Golden Star (FDM1-AHD000-71M-WS-GSA)
2. Goodmark (GMK3023200712)
3. Dynacorn (3641Q)

I am a little late getting into this thread. FWIW I got our NACA/NASA hood from NPD. It was installed in advance of a deep restoration. When we acquired the Mach1 the hood had no Call-Out characters (such as, "351 RAM AIR." But, with the restoration I wanted a Call-Out, but Ilack paint finish had dried the template was removed, and the underlying Sunset Orange did not want a decal. Graphics Express has a Stencil (template) option, vs a decal, for various Call-Outs. I selected the "351 RAM AIR" stencil. The hood was sanded down after it was adjusted for a proper bow to follow the front fender contours, primed, and painted. The stencil was then applied to the PPG Sunset Orange painted hood, and the PPG Hot Rod Black Matte blackout schema was shot. After the blackout finish dried the template was removed. The Call-Out was exactly what I was looking for, the underlying Sunset Orange paint was peering through the precisely cut blackout, displaying the Call-Out in Sunset Orange, as opposed to using a white decal.

I got the idea for using a stencil from our 1969 Shelby GT500, where its GT500 Call-Out on the front side scoop is formed with the racing stripe. Photo relevant to the Shelby inspired Call-Out, and final result of the Mach 1 Call-Out video are attached. Following is a link to the Graphics Express site where I purchased the Call-Out stencil via the color dropdown option.

https://graphic-express.com/products/1971-73-mustang-mach-1-boss-351-ram-air-hood-decal-set?variant=31404192464995

They also have the hood blackout schema stencil, which we also used.

https://graphic-express.com/products/1971-73-mustang-mach-1-nasa-naca-hood-paint-stencil-kit?variant=31404200820835

Walk-Around video of restored 73 Mach 1, where blackout hood and Call-Out can be seen:

Attachments

• 1969-Shelby-GT500-156_RightFrontAirScoopInlet_CallOut.jpg
    1969-Shelby-GT500-156_RightFrontAirScoopInlet_CallOut.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Damn, that really looks incredible!!

Looking to replace my standard hood with a NACA (ram air). Can't seem to find a good used local factory Ford hood. Any suggestions on the aftermarket? I don't want fiberglass, steel hood is preferred. Is the NPD hood better than the CJPony ones? Other manufacturer options? Can't seem to find a definitive answer on Google.
I believe "Chicago Mustang" still has one oem new hood he purchased new back in the early '80s. I got one from him, very pricey and once in primer, no magic its just a hood.

Back