Ram air install 73 351/4v

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1973

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Mach 1 Q-code Medium Copper
So I am adding the functional ram air set up to my '73 351/4v. I know I need to remove the carb spacer for room. I ordered the edelbrock 9266 heat insulator gasket. Will this work? Has anyone one here done this? Just looking for some input on the spacer removal and what else needs to be done for it. TIA!

So I am adding the functional ram air set up to my '73 351/4v. I know I need to remove the carb spacer for room. I ordered the edelbrock 9266 heat insulator gasket. Will this work? Has anyone one here done this? Just looking for some input on the spacer removal and what else needs to be done for it. TIA!
Depends on the intake you have on it, if it's the original intake you should be OK since you're only talking about a third of an inch.

Depends on the intake you have on it, if it's the original intake you should be OK since you're only talking about a third of an inch.
Thanks for the reply Jim. I do have the oe manifold on with the egr spacer

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Jim. I do have the oe manifold on with the egr spacer
My 71 doesn't have the EGR spacer so I have a little more wiggle room. Since Ram Air was an option for the 73 2V model and the EGR spacer was a requirement, I don't see why it wouldn't fit your application. I'm sure someone with the EGR spacer who has added Ram Air will provide more information.

Found this on Fordramair.com:

"Another note of concern is for 1973 owners with the 351C. For 1973 Ford used an EGR spacer plate under the 4V carb which will prevent the use of ram air. Please pay attention to this if this is your year. If you're unwilling to remove the EGR spacer then you can't use this system. Sorry guys but this is the way it is. I want you to know this up front so we don't have any problems out back."

So it looks like as long as you remove the EGR spacer it should fit. Does that Edelbrock gasket cover the EGR passages that will be exposed when you remove the EGR plate? I looked at summit and it doesn't appear to be a spread bore gasket but a 4150 Holley flange one. If that's the case that gasket won't work.

That Autolite 4300D carb will cause a lot of heartache trying to get it all working. I converted my 73 but changed the intake manifold and "Carb" to get it to work. Maybe some one with a 351 2V can tell you if that motor uses the EGR plate. If it does then I would say the conversion would work but the Fordramair web site says it won't. It's a 50/50 chance there that it might just work with the EGR plate. I was told my setup wouldn't work but in the end it did, you just never know til you try. Good luck.

I know this is an old post was there ever a solution? The EGR spacer will have to be removed (searched tons here). Will there need to be a gasket for heat and to cover up the EGR hole mentioned in the manifold?

Probably gonna pop this as my next major upgrade. I know no HP from this. But it looks so freaking cool!!!

I know this is an old post was there ever a solution? The EGR spacer will have to be removed (searched tons here). Will there need to be a gasket for heat and to cover up the EGR hole mentioned in the manifold?

Probably gonna pop this as my next major upgrade. I know no HP from this. But it looks so freaking cool!!!
Hey now is the time to get a system

On sale...

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2074

Don

So I did install it last winter. The EGR hole had already been tapped and plugged. I just removed the EGR and remounted the carb. All good!IMG_2641.JPG

So I did install it last winter. The EGR hole had already been tapped and plugged. I just removed the EGR and remounted the carb. All good!
Thanks Matt. And thanks to Ohio Mustang. Order sent. :)

So I did install it last winter. The EGR hole had already been tapped and plugged. I just removed the EGR and remounted the carb. All good!
Thanks Matt. And thanks to Ohio Mustang. Order sent. :)
.....And that is who I got it from as well.

Matt. Are you saying someone tapped and plugged the egr hole on your 73 manifold or on the egr spacer? I think you will find Cole that unless you plug that opeing in the manifold somehow you can't simply remove the egr spacer and slap the carb on top of the manifold nor is there a spacer I know of that will cover that j channel and hole on the manifold. I was able to keep the spacer and add the ram air. I jaf the clearance However during the course of taking ofthe carb and spacer i found something else. If you are using the stock carb that works with the spacer. If you are using a square bore like an edelbrock you might want to check where the secondaries are in terms of the stock egr spacer openings. It will block them. I ground out the openings for the secondaries so the four barrel would work and so I would not need to use yet another spacer because height is an issue with the ram air. Ultimately I wound up changing the manifold so problem solved. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, the manifold had been tapped and plugged. I did have to remove the egr to fit the ram air. I did try without removing it and the hood would not close

Yes, the manifold had been tapped and plugged. I did have to remove the egr to fit the ram air. I did try without removing it and the hood would not close
I am also using the stock carb.

Back