Ram Air opening question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus the ram air doesn’t really do much anyway. You only really benefit when at a high rate of speed. And it adds around 5-10 hp at most. And that’s probably a stretch. But it sure does look cool!
Actually, if you have them always open, with the Ram Air air cleaner actuator 'closed,' and the air cleaner sealed up to the hood, it should basically function as a cold air intake.

My actuators are toast, so that's what I'm telling myself to justify being too cheap to buy new ones, anyway.  :whistling:

rofl

Plus the ram air doesn’t really do much anyway. You only really benefit when at a high rate of speed. And it adds around 5-10 hp at most. And that’s probably a stretch. But it sure does look cool!
Actually, if you have them always open, with the Ram Air air cleaner actuator 'closed,' and the air cleaner sealed up to the hood, it should basically function as a cold air intake.

My actuators are toast, so that's what I'm telling myself to justify being too cheap to buy new ones, anyway.  
More and more, I'm wishing I'd scooped a box or two of "vacuum motors" (actuators) and / or parts back in my days at Canadian Fram, but being an honest guy, never did. Right now, I could be making as much money as those crooks out there selling Toilet Paper!!!  lollerz

If anyone is interested I can trade 1 roll of TP for 1 actuator, heck I will even toss in a bottle of hand sanitizer!!

if the actuators are toast (Like mine) and remain open is it best to leave them like that or somehow keep them closed?

Last edited by a moderator:
if the actuators are toast (Like mine) and remain open is it best to leave them like that or somehow keep them closed?
Just don't drive in heavy rain, lol!!

No idea really, don't have that problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
The actuators on mine presumably stopped working ages ago. The vacuum hoses weren't even run there when I bought the car (429 CJ-R). The flaps are in the open / full throttle position so the ram air is always engaged. I don't drive in rain so it isn't an issue. Just for laughs I should connect vacuum hoses there in the off chance they are still working. But that 49 year old rubber inside is most likely shot. If you search, someone posted a procedure to transfer the guts of a emissions actuator that was pretty common in the past, and use it for the ram air actuators. The '68 GTO I had in 1980 had the vacuum-operated hideaway headlights, which weren't working when I bought the car. In that case the actuators were still ok, car was only 12 years old at the time, and I just had to run all new vacuum hose.

I actually bought the hose kit to plumb the actuators and everything - I'll just be hooking it up to be cosmetically correct, but it won't be functional at all (unless I replace the actuators someday... which, I really don't care, since I don't drive in the rain or anything like that anyway).

Back