Ram Air Twist Locks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the responses on this guys - I think I am now leaning more towards adding them over omitting.  So, next question, who makes the best kits and are there instructions for how and where to put the holes?

Marc
 Good decision Marc! There is no doubt in my mind that the locks do have function. a, to hold the hood corners and b, to maintain the all important seal between the hood plenum and the air cleaner. A leak there will affect the air flow and somewhat defeat the purpose of the Ram Air intakes.

NPD list them from original tooling and manufacturer.

Geoff.

Marc, sent you an email regards hood clearance. I know someone with a J code, we can measure his intake height.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the responses on this guys - I think I am now leaning more towards adding them over omitting.  So, next question, who makes the best kits and are there instructions for how and where to put the holes?

Marc
 Good decision Marc! There is no doubt in my mind that the locks do have function. a, to hold the hood corners and b, to maintain the all important seal between the hood plenum and the air cleaner. A leak there will affect the air flow and somewhat defeat the purpose of the Ram Air intakes.

Geoff.

Marc, sent you an email regards hood clearance. I know someone with a J code, we can measure his intake height.
I have a complete kit with repro twist locks

Item #71HDLCKSET/R

71-73 HOOD LOCK KIT, COMPLETE 32 PIECES

***SPECIAL FREE SHIPPING ON THIS KIT***

Price: $249.94

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/images/addtocart.gif[/img]

Only one set of OE locks left 

SADLY >>> READ BELOW  

Due to slow sales of USA made OE tooling parts  VS China made parts... Daniel Carpenter quit making these in  OE tooling :mad:

70 twist looks

71-3 twist locks

There are other 73 parts he gave up on too

Seems price wins out :chin:

Marc

Geoff.

OK - sounds good - I appreciate that.  Car went to paint today, so, when it comes back and we get the engine back in, we can have a look.  Back to the hood locks...took a close look under hood and saw that the cut outs on the inner side of the hood are no where near the rad support - they're about 8" or so forward of it. Was there a bracket or something that comes off the rad support and picks up the hood locks?  Or, am I mistaken in assuming that where the cutouts are on the hood inner is where the locks are supposed to go?

Yes, hold down brackets are required. They come up for sale once in a while on the various auction sites and i believe are being reproduced and sold aftermarket. Touch base with Don at Ohio Mustangs on this site, he will let you know what is available from his end.

Yes, hold down brackets are required. They come up for sale once in a while on the various auction sites and i believe are being reproduced and sold aftermarket. Touch base with Don at Ohio Mustangs on this site, he will let you know what is available from his end.

As you are into originality and me being busy restoring with 71 CJ front parts atm. Got few small questions:

1/ What kind of finish is on the twist locks brackets? Looks like yellowish vs the grey central latch mechanism. From what I saw beneath a layer of paint sprayed on original untouched parts, they had the same finish from factory. Were these offered in different finishes? Love the look of the locks brackets, very nice.

2/ Your hood latch mechanism seams to have the same color as the back of the grille. My grille also untouched in its juice has a more silver finish.

Did you spray both latch mechanism and grille in same color?

3/ I see your grille has 2 brackets, mine has only one, but its having as you see on pict bellow, an angle, likely to reduce parts costs. 1 vs 2 always won in Ford's mind.

Not that I really care, just curious about the production date of your car. Very early 71?

4/ final question, as I know you do factory restoration and me busy trying to restore/replate my bolts, I see the hood latch mechanism bolts are of the same alloy with zinc (with yellow passivation) as your fenders bolts. The original bolts on mine for the latch, are of the same alloy and grade as for instance the tower braces bolts, they have a white finish, not zinc. I wonder if there were different hardware used there.

Very nice restoration btw!

Marc

Geoff.

OK - sounds good - I appreciate that.  Car went to paint today, so, when it comes back and we get the engine back in, we can have a look.  Back to the hood locks...took a close look under hood and saw that the cut outs on the inner side of the hood are no where near the rad support - they're about 8" or so forward of it. Was there a bracket or something that comes off the rad support and picks up the hood locks?  Or, am I mistaken in assuming that where the cutouts are on the hood inner is where the locks are supposed to go?
 Marc, SOOOO glad you finally got your car to paint. It's been a long process finding the right guy, so I really hope it turns outs as you want.

When you get closer to detailing, let me know if you require any other info re black-outs etc. I think by now we all have that detail figured out!

As for hood clearance, I'll need to give my friend a call to arrange day and time.

On the hood locks, I'd buy the original tooling parts kit that Don offered. Are you replacing the entire hood that already has the holes or are you going to have them cut in?

Geoff.

Geoff.

As you are into originality and me being busy restoring with 71 CJ front parts atm. Got few small questions:

If you note, you will see the partial 429 label on my air cleaner... They did not come with this from the factory. This particular air cleaner lid is an exact repo from Semo Mustang Parts. I then refinished the original air cleaner lid, but without the label for "serious" showing....

1/ What kind of finish is on the twist locks brackets? Looks like yellowish vs the grey central latch mechanism. From what I saw beneath a layer of paint sprayed on original untouched parts, they had the same finish from factory. Were these offered in different finishes? Love the look of the locks brackets, very nice.

I don't believe there was a finish (at least of the colour variety, more natural look) on the hood lock brackets, mine were painted as close to a natural look as i could do to protect the metal long term... My engine bay was a disaster from year's of use and abuse so finding what was originally on certain parts was difficult. I did a lot of research to try and best determine what was best for my restoration. Everyone has an opinion and I don't put a lot of faith in MCA write up's. best to do your own research...

2/ Your hood latch mechanism seams to have the same color as the back of the grille. My grille also untouched in its juice has a more silver finish.

Did you spray both latch mechanism and grille in same color?

Again, I did this piece (as well as the hinges and the shock tower caps) with a special paint called ZincMate made by a company here in Canada called CRC. It contains a zinc coating to help prevent rust. I ordered the Matt Gray colour to best match the factory bare steel look. Again, I want long term protection and no rust...  

3/ I see your grille has 2 brackets, mine has only one, but its having as you see on pict bellow, an angle, likely to reduce parts costs. 1 vs 2 always won in Ford's mind.

Not that I really care, just curious about the production date of your car. Very early 71?

I believe this has been discussed here before, my understanding is that early '71 build's had the two brackets and later builds went to the one bracket, costs savings for sure..... As a side note, the grille is off my very first Mustang I bought in 1979... I had a minor front end fender bender and went to the local Ford dealer and bought this grille for $106.00. When I scrapped the car, I took it off and put it in storage... As this will likely be my last restoration, I decided to pull it out of storage and put it on this car...

4/ final question, as I know you do factory restoration and me busy trying to restore/replate my bolts, I see the hood latch mechanism bolts are of the same alloy with zinc (with yellow passivation) as your fenders bolts. The original bolts on mine for the latch, are of the same alloy and grade as for instance the tower braces bolts, they have a white finish, not zinc. I wonder if there were different hardware used there.

These were put on initially as i waited for parts to arrive, I have since switched over to the colour bolts you note... 

Very nice restoration btw!

Thanks! I follow your's, keep up the good work.

Geoff.

Marc, SOOOO glad you finally got your car to paint. It's been a long process finding the right guy, so I really hope it turns outs as you want.

When you get closer to detailing, let me know if you require any other info re black-outs etc. I think by now we all have that detail figured out!

As for hood clearance, I'll need to give my friend a call to arrange day and time.

On the hood locks, I'd buy the original tooling parts kit that Don offered. Are you replacing the entire hood that already has the holes or are you going to have them cut in?

Geoff.

Geoff.
We're just going to have them cut in.

Marc

Geoff.

I have a complete kit with repro twist locks

Item #71HDLCKSET/R

71-73 HOOD LOCK KIT, COMPLETE 32 PIECES

***SPECIAL FREE SHIPPING ON THIS KIT***

Price: $249.94

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/images/addtocart.gif[/img]

Only one set of OE locks left 

SADLY >>> READ BELOW  

Due to slow sales of USA made OE tooling parts  VS China made parts... Daniel Carpenter quit making these in  OE tooling :mad:

70 twist looks

71-3 twist locks

There are other 73 parts he gave up on too

Seems price wins out :chin:
Shameless plug for OMS...  :whistling:

Awesome kit!  I love mine!  Mine is an original Ram Air car, but my hood locks were junk and missing components.  This kit went in like it belonged there - no muss, fuss, or otherwise.  I just painted my brackets with Rust Bullet Black Shell to match everything else in the engine area (since it's a restomod).

We now return you to your regular programming.  :cool:

rofl

Geoff.
We're just going to have them cut in.
 Sounds like a plan!

Let me know if and when you need info on black-out measurements if you don't have the EXACT numbers etc.

Geoff.

They had twist lock hood latches before 71. 68 Shelby had them 69 & 70 Shelby and also 70 Mustang. Beats having the cables and pins flopping all over your paint.
Ah yes!  Knew about the Shelby's, don't recall the 70 hood's with them though.  I'll have to go back and have a look.

They had twist lock hood latches before 71. 68 Shelby had them 69 & 70 Shelby and also 70 Mustang. Beats having the cables and pins flopping all over your paint.
Ah yes!  Knew about the Shelby's, don't recall the 70 hood's with them though.  I'll have to go back and have a look.

Marc

Geoff.

Hi Geoff - I'm heading over to the body shop this week to get the holes cut in.  Do you have measurements of where your locks are located on your hood?  They have to go where the hood inner cut-outs dictate, but this will at least let me know if my report hood is in the ballpark..

Marc

Back