Rattle after stuck starter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricard

Reaction score
My Car
1972 351CJ MACh1
[url=https://ibb.co/hBMVvFT][img]https://i.ibb.co/K2GWHx8/A865-E967-B72-D-4-AD0-A6-C8-F4-D3-E243-BFF5.jpg[/img][/url]
So I installed a rebuilt starter in to my 351C 4speed car. I was experiencing some heat soak due to long tubes.

I drive the car a hand full of times. Then at the national car show over the weekend in Oshawa Ontario the car doesn’t start.. 1 click.

Try to bump start it, nothing. Infact, the rear axle was locking up, even in 2nd gear. Starter cable is hot. Working theory, starter is stuck in the flywheel.

Tow home… whole nother story.

Pull the starter out, it’s in there tight. Click, it fires back, I turn the key a few times, it starts, sounds pretty worn like a bearing went or something. Nothing visibly broken though. (Should have done a full turn of the engine to check the flywheel, didn’t… stupid I know)

Powermaster high torque starter… installed, first turn, bang fires right up.

Drive it 2 miles today, rattle, sounds like a bolt bouncing around.

Now either I left a 1/2 socket somewhere under the hood or the working theory is something is bouncing around the bellhousing…

Gonna put this to the forum for advice, thoughts, and best guess on what it is inside that bell housing. If that is the case.

These Ford vehicles normally do not require any spacers. The starter face dimensions are all machined to a standard tolerance location on the bell housing. You mentioned heat soak required a starter replacement, but that seems remote also. It is possible that the cable which goes from the solenoid up on the apron, down to the starter might be leaking voltage to ground. There may be a chafed insulation, or the cable may be too small to carry the voltage to the starter and it is getting hot.. The starters are designed to take engine heat and should function under most conditions. The issue seems to be more electrical than mechanical since there was no rattling sound indicated prior to the first starter change..

These Ford vehicles normally do not require any spacers. The starter face dimensions are all machined to a standard tolerance location on the bell housing. You mentioned heat soak required a starter replacement, but that seems remote also. It is possible that the cable which goes from the solenoid up on the apron, down to the starter might be leaking voltage to ground. There may be a chafed insulation, or the cable may be too small to carry the voltage to the starter and it is getting hot.. The starters are designed to take engine heat and should function under most conditions. The issue seems to be more electrical than mechanical since there was no rattling sound indicated prior to the first starter change..
That’s my thoughts initially. But I’ve gone through most of it trouble shooting

That's the wrong starter for your application. 9162 is for automatic transmissions and manuals with the 157 tooth flywheel. 71-73s manuals transmission cars all came 164 tooth flywheels and use the shallow offset 9172 starter.

1662385103720.png

Back