Re-inforcement plate for 71-73 convertibles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballaratcastle

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible. Just imported from the USA as an unfinished project.
[url=https://ibb.co/gXU4Qy][img]https://preview.ibb.co/f0tW5y/Mustang.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi team. 

I am rebuilding a half finished project I imported from the States. The car was fully assembled running example prior to the USA owner having it stripped for panel and paint 5+ yrs ago. All the parts were supposed to be with the vehicle however a lot are missing. 

I have purchased a lot of new parts from CJ's, Stang-a-holics, Dallas Mustangs and Rock Auto but for the life of me cannot locate some items that do not appear to have been reproduced. 

Car is missing the underbody trans tunnel reinforcement plate. There is a mustang mercury website proclaiming to have an aftermarket plate for mercury/mustng (thinner than original) for 69-73 mustangs that looks identical to the 69-70 one sold by CJ's however when I emailed CJ's about the 71-73 they said they did not stock it and the 69-70 plate was different to the 71-73 so am a bit confused and reluctant to buy the one from the mercury site and freighting it to NZ to find it wont fit. 

Same for the C4 gearbox trans tunnel bracket. That is missing but cannot find a 71-73 bracket, plenty of reproduction 66-70 brackets on websites. 

Last difficult item to find new is the plastic splash shields under the front guards. Plenty of new earlier models available but cant find any on the parts sites for the 71-73

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. I would prefer new 

Cheers

Steve

Two of our members and site advertisers and supporters have used parts and a lot of knowledge, Don at Ohio Mustang Supply and Mike at Motorcity Mustang. Go to the classified section of the Forum to find them.

By the way, welcome.

I found this on the West Coast Classic Cougar site. Sounds like the same plate you are looking at....

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, understand your concern since your getting so may versions of fitment for that plate and shipping would be expensive to New Zealand. But that's why you wisely joined this Forum devoted to 71-73 Mustang's with a great group of members who go that "Extra Mile" to help  others.

Presently I am out of town for the 4th July week but I remember another Forum member having the same problem as you. The plate your referring to is what Ford called Plate, front floor lower cross member. This part (C5ZZ-7610962-A) regardless of what anyone tells you, was used on ALL 65-73 Mustang convertibles. The six retaining bolts are 3/8-16x 1-1/8 hex head bolt and washer. There may be some members here that have some used ones or you could also check with a couple of our on site vendors that have parts cars as Don C suggested. Don@ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motorcity Mustang have come through many times for different members here. There is a repo version manufactured by Scott Drake but is not as thick as the original. You can also try your luck and search E-Bay with the Ford number.

Good luck with your search.

Two of our members and site advertisers and supporters have used parts and a lot of knowledge, Don at Ohio Mustang Supply and Mike at Motorcity Mustang. Go to the classified section of the Forum to find them.

By the way, welcome.
Thanks Don

Another member on an earlier post mentioned them and I looked at their websites but wasn’t sure what their user names were to message them direct. Their parts websites didn’t have the parts I was looking for but I wil try and  make contact. Thanks

Steve, understand your concern since your getting so may versions of fitment for that plate and shipping would be expensive to New Zealand. But that's why you wisely joined this Forum devoted to 71-73 Mustang's with a great group of members who go that "Extra Mile" to help  others.

Presently I am out of town for the 4th July week but I remember another Forum member having the same problem as you. The plate your referring to is what Ford called Plate, front floor lower cross member. This part (C5ZZ-7610962-A) regardless of what anyone tells you, was used on ALL 65-73 Mustang convertibles. The six retaining bolts are 3/8-16x 1-1/8 hex head bolt and washer. There may be some members here that have some used ones or you could also check with a couple of our on site vendors that have parts cars as Don C suggested. Don@ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motorcity Mustang have come through many times for different members here. There is a repo version manufactured by Scott Drake but is not as thick as the original. You can also try your luck and search E-Bay with the Ford number.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks for that info yes I did see the thinner one available new saying 65-73 and then got the conflicting advice from CJ pony parts who sell the same Scott drake part. Shipping not a problem as the guy who inspected the car and shipped it has a container every two weeks with cars so can get one shipped. I’ll check with Don or Mike if a second hand plate would be structurally better over the thinner repro. Cheers

Back