Re-visiting 3 point seat belt conversions.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has the 5" metal bar and bolts to the same hole in the rocker. The tab may work but depending on how long it is. I have been working with Seatbelt Planet and they will custom make anything for you. It really doesn't cost that much to modify them since they make them to order. Call Steve Pekrul at (405) 736-0088, explain what you want and go from there. He has helped me deal with customizing my setup. In a short note, I had him add a shoulder extension (sash) and cut the web shorter. Unfortunately, I ordered it cut too short and he is currently redoing it for me. The shoulder extension works really good though.
Thanks for that info Tony, but unfortunately a bit too late unless I can cancel the order as I just got an email from Wesco to say my order won't be shipped for 4-7 days. I'll look into your suggestion, but I may just have to work with what I've ordered now. On Wesco's website, one customer said he installed them in a 65 Mustang fastback and it all worked out. He didn't say if he modified the rocker.

If push come to shove, I can probably get a longer bar sewn in as I have access to someone with the equipment and knowledge to do it.

Thanks for that info Tony, but unfortunately a bit too late unless I can cancel the order as I just got an email from Wesco to say my order won't be shipped for 4-7 days. I'll look into your suggestion, but I may just have to work with what I've ordered now. On Wesco's website, one customer said he installed them in a 65 Mustang fastback and it all worked out. He didn't say if he modified the rocker.

If push come to shove, I can probably get a longer bar sewn in as I have access to someone with the equipment and knowledge to do it.
 UPDATE: I contacted Wesco and they do indeed have a long "C" bar as it's called. This exactly what is needed to mount behind the retractor. They have changed my order, so it all should be good. To be honest, the problem with Wesco's ordering seems to be they don't use a numbering system. I missed seeing the type I was looking for and "clicked" on the wrong picture. Very confusing. 

I'll update later when I receive and install the belts.

UPDATE: I contacted Wesco and they do indeed have a long "C" bar as it's called. This exactly what is needed to mount behind the retractor. They have changed my order, so it all should be good. To be honest, the problem with Wesco's ordering seems to be they don't use a numbering system. I missed seeing the type I was looking for and "clicked" on the wrong picture. Very confusing. 

I'll update later when I receive and install the belts.
Awesome. You will like how the shoulder extension fits.

Awesome. You will like how the shoulder extension fits.
That's my hope Tony. Thanks.

I contacted Wesco again to inquire about different lengths of sash.  However, they have no plans to make different lengths. It is what it is. I'm not worried at all about the looks so much as having better, safer belts........... and keeping the wife from whining about how hard it is to do up the factory lap and shoulder system.

I know some would frown on it but I am going to put at least a 6 point bar system in my 72 Q code vert and also full racing harness. If you have an engine like some of you have the insurance is not sold on paper it is in construction. Drive shaft loops also. A guy I worked with in the 60's had drive shaft on his circle track car break in front and I think he did 4 end over flips. He woke up in hospital but made it, bars and harness saved him but car was trash. Simple drive shaft loop would have cured all. I think I had said this before that most deaths in car crashes are 35 mph and under. Does not take much. If you are out there going 140 there is not way you will make it without a cage and race harness and maybe even race seat.
None of it is something that cannot be reversed in the future if you want pure stock but great insurance to keep you around.

Continuing from the discussion in "What did you do to your car today" page 275-276, I will take some more pictures, but for today, it's raining so I'll not be backing the car out of the garage. I don't have enough room in there to get the shots I want.

However, In answer to a question from Tony-muscle, I see why your sash with the cover, causes a 90 deg twist in your shoulder belt. Mine does not have that cover, so the "twist" is taken up within the sash, allowing the shoulder belt to be as it should, no twist. Apart from the sash looking a bit ugly due to the stitching facing outward, seen through the window, it gives a better result in the end. I'm happy with that part at least. As stated, the part I'm not so happy with is the buckle belt (tunnel) portion. However, without the sleeve, the buckle is not hard to locate and snap the tang into. Again it could be 2-3" longer, but these belts were made as a compromise anyway, not specifically for the 71-73 Mustang. More to follow.

Continuing from the discussion in "What did you do to your car today" page 275-276, I will take some more pictures, but for today, it's raining so I'll not be backing the car out of the garage. I don't have enough room in there to get the shots I want.

However, In answer to a question from Tony-muscle, I see why your sash with the cover, causes a 90 deg twist in your shoulder belt. Mine does not have that cover, so the "twist" is taken up within the sash, allowing the shoulder belt to be as it should, no twist. Apart from the sash looking a bit ugly due to the stitching facing outward, seen through the window, it gives a better result in the end. I'm happy with that part at least. As stated, the part I'm not so happy with is the buckle belt (tunnel) portion. However, without the sleeve, the buckle is not hard to locate and snap the tang into. Again it could be 2-3" longer, but these belts were made as a compromise anyway, not specifically for the 71-73 Mustang. More to follow.
I got my sash from seatbelt planet.

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/c-1389192-seat-belts-shop-by-seat-belt-type-3-point-retractable-lap-shoulder.html

However, the original belt with the center buckle I don't know where it came from.

As you said, we are adapting universal sets so some compromises have to be made.

I got my sash from seatbelt planet.

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/c-1389192-seat-belts-shop-by-seat-belt-type-3-point-retractable-lap-shoulder.html

However, the original belt with the center buckle I don't know where it came from.

As you said, we are adapting universal sets so some compromises have to be made.
 Tony, just adding to this, I now know Wesco Performance is just a distributor for Seatbelt Solutions, so now I understand why my order was sent to me c/o Wesco and why I paid taxes on the wholesale cost (I assume) Bonus on that score!

Looking at Seatbelt Planet's website, they offer some useful and interesting accessories at good prices. Their belts are more expensive the S/S, but may be better quality, hard to say. What would be really nice is if they offered the tang (that goes into the buckle) as a free slipping piece rather than what they offer which stops the belt fully retracting.  Does that make sense?

IMG_1719.JPG

Tony, just adding to this, I now know Wesco Performance is just a distributor for Seatbelt Solutions, so now I understand why my order was sent to me c/o Wesco and why I paid taxes on the wholesale cost (I assume) Bonus on that score!

Looking at Seatbelt Planet's website, they offer some useful and interesting accessories at good prices. Their belts are more expensive the S/S, but may be better quality, hard to say. What would be really nice is if they offered the tang (that goes into the buckle) as a free slipping piece rather than what they offer which stops the belt fully retracting.  Does that make sense?
I talked to them and they custom made my belts with a tang similar to yours. I will take pictures of my setup and post them once I am back home tonight. The only part I don't like about my setup is that the belt seems short. It fits my small belly well, but it may not fit around someone with a big body. :classic_dry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to them and they custom made my belts with a tang similar to yours. I will take pictures of my setup and post them once I am back home tonight. The only part I don't like about my setup is that the belt seems short. It fits my small belly well, but it may not fit around someone with a big body. :classic_dry:
Ah I see. A custom job eh! My belts are 131" long, more the enough for me..... and my ah'hmm, passenger.

I was thinking of ordering a couple of the soft plastic sleeves and the 6" long end caps. I think a soft sleeve on the buckle belt would be a good compromise. They are cheap so worth a shot. The friggin mail will be twice as much!

Today I had the wife take a pic of how the belt goes over my shoulder. I think it is easy to see that when the belt was hung from the top of the window, would sit across my neck. Now at least it sit off the neck and that was the goal. The twist is there, but now I see it as it is, I may be able to rotate the belt in the tang. I'm not too worried if I can't, it's not too offensive.

First pic is the modified original cap (a bit out of focus). I needed to trim the tab off it to fit and stay put. Second pic is yours truly. Whos is that old man!!

Overall I'm happy with the install, but I notice I need to pull the tang slowly so as not to lock the mechanism. Something to get used too I guess. Now I just need to get the car out on the road, but I need one more heavy rainfall to finish getting all the salt off the roads, so maybe next week.

IMG_1721.1.JPG

IMG_1724.1.JPG

View attachment 49796
Thats honestly the one thing I wish I would have asked about when I ordered mine. I would rather have had the part with the buckle be able to slide so it could retract easily as opposed to this one. Hindsight I guess.

Thats honestly the one thing I wish I would have asked about when I ordered mine. I would rather have had the part with the buckle be able to slide so it could retract easily as opposed to this one. Hindsight I guess.
Yes indeed, I take it you are referring to what I'm calling the "tang", the part that latches into the buckle.  I have not seen that option on ready made belts, but it may be available on custom. It certainly would be a plus for sure. I believe all the new ones in cars have a sliding "tang".

This is a great thread on seatbelts. I'm in Australia and need to replace my belts to meet local laws. However, I can get mine rebuilt using the original buckles etc. Does anyone have any pictures of the original 72 belt set up and how the shoulder strap hooks up when not in use?

Here is a picture of the ends in the middle of the car. I expect the one with the square button is the original as the back seat ones are the same. I think the drivers side one ( the one with the round button) has been replaced at some point in the last 48 years...)

20210409_173209 (Large).jpg

20210409_173252 (Large).jpg

This is a great thread on seatbelts. I'm in Australia and need to replace my belts to meet local laws. However, I can get mine rebuilt using the original buckles etc. Does anyone have any pictures of the original 72 belt set up and how the shoulder strap hooks up when not in use?

Here is a picture of the ends in the middle of the car. I expect the one with the square button is the original as the back seat ones are the same. I think the drivers side one ( the one with the round button) has been replaced at some point in the last 48 years...)

View attachment 50153

View attachment 50154
Hi, The seat belts in the 71-72 and probably the 73 are, to the best of my knowledge, the same. I'll look through my stack of pics, but I don't think I ever took any specifically of the original belts and how they hook up. What I can do is take some pics of the old belts I took out. In your pic, the one on the left would be the original, but there would be a chrome star burst sticker in the round indent. Mine are all missing too! 

As for ordering replacements and in hind sight, I think I would order from SeatbeltPlanet.com as I believe they can custom make to order. They may be able to re-web your belts to bring them up to standard, worth an email to find out. Seatbeltsolutions.com is good also. I actually ordered through WescoPerformance.com, but they turned out to be a distributor for Seatbeltsolutions. Be aware of the application for your car. For me, being a shorter guy, I found the drop sash feature really works to stop the belt cutting into my neck. 

The pic below shows the correct 71 tunnel buckle belt at the bottom.  The belt on top is an incorrect lift latch style that I was sold a couple of years ago and returned. These rigid plastic sleeves do not fit our cars very well.

More later if you need help. Send a PM if wish.

IMG_3390.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm adding a few more pics on this subject. I have ordered from Seatbelt Planet, a couple of semi-ridged plastic sleeve that I may be able to use to cover the buckle belt and the drop sash. I also ordered a couple of their 6" long buckle belt bolt covers. These were cheap, the mail was 3 times the cost! I'll see what works and what I like......... maybe and repost pics later. In the meantime, here are the pics of how it is now. I cut the old tab off the cover so it will clip onto the new part. For now, I cut the hard sleeve as a cover for the bolt. 

IMG_1719 (2)_LI.jpg

IMG_1720.1.JPG

Thanks for the info Geoff. Its odd that 3 of the buckles are the square type and only 1 is the round starburst type. U had my money on the square ones being original. Any pics of your original belts would be great.

My car is a July 72 car.

I will use a local Seatbelt restorer here in Melbourne Australia to remake mine with local belt webbing that is Australian standard approved once I get an understanding as to how they should be. 

Thanks for the info Geoff. Its odd that 3 of the buckles are the square type and only 1 is the round starburst type. U had my money on the square ones being original. Any pics of your original belts would be great.

My car is a July 72 car.

I will use a local Seatbelt restorer here in Melbourne Australia to remake mine with local belt webbing that is Australian standard approved once I get an understanding as to how they should be. 
I'll take some pics and post soon. That way you can see what you want and/or can do. The starbust chrome stickers can be bought from NPD I think. (National Parts Depot)

I just received the sleeves I ordered from Seatbelt Planet, so I'll play with that also and post pics.

It is time for me to order up some belts.

Does this seem reasonable?  I got out a cloth tape and it looks like 110” is more than enough if I go with the 8” extended shoulder loops.

View attachment 50164
Bentworker, I just fitted the 6" anchor sleeves to mine and they work great with the 11" buckle belts I got. If the sleeves were 8" long, they would be perfect. If you can order buckle belts the same length as original, it would be better imo, but without the ridged sleeve that doesn't fit the contour of the tunnel. See pics in bdennis post reply below.

Back