Re-visiting 3 point seat belt conversions.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added the boots for looks, and to keep anything from falling into the mechanism. The plastic snap-on mechanism shield had to be removed to allow the belt to retract fully. 

I'm 6'3", so my shoulder sits high enough that the belt may sit too low with the sash. Once I get the 351 swap completed and the car is driveable, I'll make a decision on that.

The best part of this swap is not having to unhook the shoulder belt to release the E-brake!

View attachment 51419
Do you mean those belt would not fully retract with their boot on it? That would be odd for sure.

So, you  have the opposite problem to me, you're too tall and I'm too short!!! Sucks doesn't it. But then, if we were all the same height, wouldn't life be boring. I would not add the sash if it were me either. A problem for the shorter guys amongst us is we need the seat closer upfront and still we had to fight the belts to reach the stupidly positioned "parking brake" especially with a manual trans. 

I wanted to give an update on my seatbelt planet order.  

Don’t order the universal 3 point 301 style belts like I did.  The retractor and the fixed end of the belt cannot be nested on top of one another (they need to on a Mustang).  They make a different set called the DF13 that is designed for the fixed end of the belt and the retractor end of the belt to nest on top of each other and be secured by one bolt.  Also noteworthy is that 110” was too short, not allowing you to lean forward to the wheel.

The 8” shoulder extension was pretty cool.  It lowered shoulder belt to a much more comfortable location.

I have reached out to seatbelt planet to see if they would make me up a DF13 set, but with the 8” shoulder extension.  Also to see if they have a slip tongue instead of the grip tongue which runs into the shoulder loop and keeps the retractor from retracting all the way.

I’ll update when I get to trying seatbelt planet version 2.0

View attachment 51086
Update- Seatbelt Planet semi custom DF13 with an 8" shoulder extension is a winner.

Not like the original belts at all, but it seems to fit well.

A0D44A72-4076-4E8F-B09D-724143EAC0A8.jpeg

7A0D01FA-E5E5-4E60-8011-D7F3DE231B73.jpeg

1FBADDC8-111E-43F6-BBE6-BADD6397D99B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Update- Seatbelt Planet semi custom DF13 with an 8" shoulder extension is a winner.

Not like the original belts at all, but it seems to fit well.
That's awesome news.

I'll be honest, I kinda wish I'd gone with them now, but what I have is so-so and will have to do. I find the buckle tang hard to get hold of because it ends up high and with my wonkey shoulders, hard to get hold of.

The lap belts in the Mustang I purchased, didn't seem quite adequate for today and so this discussion was very interesting and most helpful; thanks to everybody. I got the impression from the various messages that Seat Belt Planet had the shoulder extension (which I wanted - for convenience) but that is apparently not so - at least from the e-mail exchange I had with one of their employees. So I purchased a set of 3-point belts from Wesco. Originally they quoted 7 - 10 days for delivery, however after about ten (10) days, an e-mail popped up in my spam folder indicating that it would take another two (2) weeks, other than that I had no correspondence from them. When I ordered the seat belts, I called about the mounting hardware and was told two (2) sets, one (1) for each side was required. The box arrived, packaging was no more than adequate. I had prepared an additional support bracket to go under the floor to better spread the load. Installing the belts, I found the factory threaded insert at the roof, (which is most convenient) however, the bolt provided by Wesco in the kit is the wrong size. The bolt provided is a 7/16" fine thread, but the threaded insert is a 3/8" coarse thread. I e-mailed Wesco and called, but they were of no help in obtaining the correct bolt. I located a suitable stainless steel bolt at McMaster Carr which does the job. I then found that in fact one (1) set of mounting hardware is adequate for both front seat belts. I intend to return the other set of mounting hardware. I have attached a picture showing the driver side installation.

DSC01300.JPG

Interesting! If you read my posts on this subject, I too ordered from Wesco. I actually had no problem getting the belts I wanted. I did NOT order the installation kit as I had it all with the old parts in the car. I came to find that Wesco is just a distributor for Seatbelt Solutions in Florida. On mine, I ordered the 8" extension, but it did NOT have the nice cover that your pic shows. I wish it did not only for looks but function too. Also, and their pictures and description does NOT mention it, I ordered with a long "C" bracket (if I remember) With that, I did not have to drill another hole and muck around with the backing plate needed. As for communication, I had zero problems, emails were promptly answered.

Knowing what I know now, I would have custom ordered from Seatbelt Planet. However, the one thing I really would like to see on all these aftermarket kits, is a free sliding buckle tang, just like in our modern cars today. I mentioned that in one of my posts. 

As far as function goes, I am finding it only somewhat satisfactory. By that I mean I need to pull the belt very slowly from the retractor, that is after I've fiddled about trying to find the damn shoulder belt that does not fully retract because it is held by the buckle's set position. Once on, no problem. I have free movement to reach forward, not like the original POS belts. So, I guess that's a bonus at least to justify the cost. The sleeves I ordered from Seatbelt Planet work very well on the tunnel buckle belts. See pics in my posts.

Hello everyone, although this is an older topic, I am dealing with the same here. My situation is, I am 5-11 and my wife is 5-2. I bought Scott Drake belts, but they dig into both our necks.
What are your findings since 10-2021?
Thank you

Hello everyone, although this is an older topic, I am dealing with the same here. My situation is, I am 5-11 and my wife is 5-2. I bought Scott Drake belts, but they dig into both our necks.
What are your findings since 10-2021?
Thank you
I am 5'7" and the sash guide or extension works great. It lowers the belt to below my neck. You will need a new set of belts with the longer sash guide but if this is an issue it will be well worth it.

1676482007495.png

I am 5'7" and the sash guide or extension works great. It lowers the belt to below my neck. You will need a new set of belts with the longer sash guide but if this is an issue it will be well worth it.

View attachment 73372
Tony, is this the belt system from Seatbelt Planet? The one I got from Seatbelt Solution has no cover over the 8" sash and I find that a bit of an issue. I'd prefer what your pic shows.
Also, wouldn't it be nice if these manufacturers use a free sliding buckle tang instead of fixed/adjustable.
To answer Bluesky10's question, yes, the longer sash makes a big difference. I'm 5'4" and the wife is 5'2". My issue with these belts is that the tang buckle is not free sliding as modern belts are, so we end up with a loop hanging at the retractor. Other than that, I feel much safer and not as restricted as with the original style shoulder /lap belts.

Attachments

• IMG_1712.JPG
    IMG_1712.JPG
    717 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Tony, is this the belt system from Seatbelt Planet? The one I got from Seatbelt Solution has no cover over the 8" sash and I find that a bit of an issue. I'd prefer what your pic shows.
Also, wouldn't it be nice if these manufacturers use a free sliding buckle tang instead of fixed/adjustable.
To answer Bluesky10's question, yes, the longer sash makes a big difference. I'm 5'4" and the wife is 5'2". My issue with these belts is that the tang buckle is not free sliding as modern belts are, so we end up with a loop hanging at the retractor. Other than that, I feel much safer and not as restricted as with the original style shoulder /lap belts.
I used the picture from Wesco, but I got mine at Seatbeltplanet.com with a cover. At the end most of these guys use the same source.

I used the picture from Wesco, but I got mine at Seatbeltplanet.com with a cover. At the end most of these guys use the same source.
I got my belts from Wesco too, but although they offered the 8" drop sash, I did not see the covered version in your pic. I wonder if that's a new addition.
I too, have a feeling they are all about the same. The hardware is almost certain to be from one supplier. I did find that Seatbelt Planet offer more accessories and options though. For the center belt covers, I got those from s/planet and trimmed to suit.

Back