Ready to go

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayro

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang baby blue with clevo 351
Hey guys, new engine is in and be just finished fitting all the hoses. She’s all wired up and full of fluids.

Question, I’ll be towing on a trailer on Monday to get the exhaust fitted. Can I start the engine and drive on the car trailer as is without any exhaust manifolds/headers on the drivers side or will it cause damage?

Cheers

Hey guys, new engine is in and be just finished fitting all the hoses. She’s all wired up and full of fluids.

Question, I’ll be towing on a trailer on Monday to get the exhaust fitted. Can I start the engine and drive on the car trailer as is without any exhaust manifolds/headers on the drivers side or will it cause damage?

Cheers
Sure you could but why is a exhaust manifold not bolted on at least temporarily? I’m no expert but would think your engine builder would frown on it as I would think he would like his exhaust valves to have some back pressure. I personally wouldn’t do it. I would hook up a deadman pulley at the front of the trailer and pull it on.

Sure you could but why is a exhaust manifold not bolted on at least temporarily? I’m no expert but would think your engine builder would frown on it as I would think he would like his exhaust valves to have some back pressure. I personally wouldn’t do it. I would hook up a deadman pulley at the front of the trailer and pull it on.
New engine and headers on drivers side (hooker headers) are hitting so the shop will throw them on and modify if needed to fit and clear.

All good if I need to play it safe I’ll just push it out so I can connect the trailer winch to front of car. Just can’t find any reasonable tow point in the ass to pull it out without risking damage to of car bumper etc

Has the engine previously been run? IIRC, it's a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft, which needs a break in procedure You don't just start it and drive around.

Back