Rear axle brake backing plate gaskets?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I've got my 9 inch center section installed in the axle, and now I'm ready to get the brake backing plates and axles installed.  The axles I removed had something that almost looked like some gasket material along the back of it.  The retainer plates appear to be okay.  My question is - Is there a gasket that goes between the backing plate and the axle flange?  Is there a gasket that goes between the backing plate and the axle retainer?  There isn't a seal outboard to the bearing, is there?  The bearing appears to be sealed, but I want to make sure that there isn't something outboard of the bearing to prevent water incursion.  Thanks.

Ron 

Check with your local parts houses they might have them. If you do not know the condition of the bearings I would go ahead and replace them. Cheap and the axles are in your hands now. One thing we use to do when building a car was to wash off the axle good and mask off a straight line and paint white or any color easy to see. Then in future you can look at and tell if the axles have twisted or not.

Thanks, Don.  So I need 4 of those gaskets, 2 per side?  I have replaced the seals inboard of the bearing inside the axle.  

David, I am replacing the bearings.   I have new Timken bearings to press on both rear axles.  In the meantime, I can finish dressing and loading up the backing plates. so I can just bolt them up once I have the gaskets. 

Thanks to you both for the replies and the help.

Ron

Back