Rear brake springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxgranch

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Base Convertible 302
Argh, I hoped to be done with questions. When I opened the kit of parts for left rear drum on the 1972 302 convertible, the springs did not match what was there. They are in photo 1 next to the rusty old ones. Thinking that perhaps another kit would provide a match, I grabbed one from NAPA. They don't match either. They are in photo 2. Only one of the old springs shows any paint. It appears that the yellow springs in both sets match one of the springs that was on the car. The green spring from set 1 matches another, but there is no direct match for the third spring. One of the blue springs in the second set is close to the middle spring, but one hook has a very different bend. 

I may order the set on Amazon to see what gives with it.

The second set was not a loss as it had the little spring washer that goes with the parking brake lever when were missing from the first set.

If anyone has any thoughts, it would be appreciated.  Thanks!

L Rear Drum springs 2.jpg

L Rear Drum Spirngs 1.jpg

I ordered my rear drum spring kit from a local Oreillys and it had the correct springs. I did have to order things like the adjustment mechanism separately but overall, It was pretty accurate. I hope you get it figured out, good luck.

Tom

Back