Rear bumper bar 1972 mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang grande
Can someone tell me if my rear bar is genuine going by these numbers ? , my painter has scratched my bar and I’m looking at either rechroming or replacing with a aftermarket but obviously if mine is aftermarket I’m not going to spend the extra coin rechroming I’ll just replace with another aftermarket one .

has anyone used the aftermarket front and rear bars before are they any good do they fit well ? Does the chrome hold up ? 

8C043BE0-D192-4372-8235-E45230840B99.jpeg

5079FAA3-CBB4-42C5-B446-4A256957DC6E.jpeg

From the numbers, I would say it is an original. I recently replaced a known aftermarket rear bumper with a known NOS one. It has similar date codes. Also the biggy is if you look at the end of the bumper, the amount of material drawn at the top edge, is considerably greater. For me, this was the main reason I switched to an NOS one. Here's a pic of the the end part I'm trying to describe. 1626 = aftermarket, 1640 = NOS. The fit is much better. Hope this helps.

IMG_1626.1.JPG

IMG_1640.1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
As Geoff says, I am pretty sure that the stampings you show are consistent with those of an original bumper.

I changed mine recently and it has the same type of stampings. I've stared at the date code stamping and I think the '2' after the date code is the stamping plant shift not the MY, I think the MY is the two digits after the '71M.'

Yours would be (IMO) 9/27/71, 2 rd shift, so if your car was an early-ish October '71 build 72 then likely original.

My car is an August of '70 build, so this bumper is likely original (8/19/70 3rd shift):

Bumper Writing 1.JPG

Bumper Writing 2.JPG

As Geoff says, I am pretty sure that the stampings you show are consistent with those of an original bumper.

I changed mine recently and it has the same type of stampings. I've stared at the date code stamping and I think the '2' after the date code is the stamping plant shift not the MY, I think the MY is the two digits after the '71M.'

Yours would be (IMO) 9/27/71, 2 rd shift, so if your car was an early-ish October '71 build 72 then likely original.

My car is an August of '70 build, so this bumper is likely original (8/19/70 3rd shift):

View attachment 51784

View attachment 51785
Yes mine is a early 72 and going by my marti report September is correct 

From the numbers, I would say it is an original. I recently replaced a known aftermarket rear bumper with a known NOS one. It has similar date codes. Also the biggy is if you look at the end of the bumper, the amount of material drawn at the top edge, is considerably greater. For me, this was the main reason I switched to an NOS one. Here's a pic of the the end part I'm trying to describe. 1626 = aftermarket, 1640 = NOS. The fit is much better. Hope this helps.

View attachment 51782

View attachment 51783
Mine is 100% original then as mine does not have the crazy gap the aftermarket gives you , wow makes you wonder how they can sell Them

Because I’m sending my my rear bumper away to be rechromed I thought might as well do the front also , did not find any stamps like the rear but found these raised letters and numbers ? Are they original also anyone know  what they mean ? 

C9D4575D-FCBE-4918-B16F-1DD78BA22C64.jpeg

Yes mine is a early 72 and going by my marti report September is correct 

Mine is 100% original then as mine does not have the crazy gap the aftermarket gives you , wow makes you wonder how they can sell Them
Yes indeed, typical aftermarket crap. Actually, I think that ugly gap could be reduced by adjusting the mounting brackets, but that should NOT be needed to be done in the first place. On your front bumper, I can't help there as I have the Urethane version. If the fit is otherwise good, re-chroming might be cheaper for you than shipping one in from the States.

Anybody want a good used aftermarket rear bumper????

Back