Rear bumper bolt blues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
So, I’ve spent the better part of a day trying to remove the rear bumper bolts. Am I wasting my time? I’ve done everything except using fire to remove them. Is it common to just cut them off?

I've never had an issue with them, granted, all the Mustangs I've had were Arizona cars with no rust. A little heat may do the trick. Just be careful with a torch near the gas tank!

Yea, it was a Cal car, but still very rusted in place and those fragile tailights, I don’t want to remove them to create another thing to do lol. I can’t get a cut off wheel in there either, so will try a short metal saws-all blade.

Have you tried removing the brackets from the taillamp panel? Then you can work on removing the bolts on a bench. Might give you easier access.
Good question. Steve did not say whether it's the actual bumper to bracket bolts or the bracket to body bolts. The nuts inside the trunk ought not be that hard to remove. Maybe some good ol' penetrating oil will help, let it soak for 12-24 hrs.

I’m trying to loosen the bolts you access inside the trunk, under the tail light panel. I’m trying to install my new rear valance with exhaust cutouts so I can install my new 2 1/2” exhaust. I couldn’t get the top screws in the valance on with the bumper on. Penetrator injected two days ago, will try tomorrow, but they look very rusty. Any other ideas for installing the valance with the bumper on? I haven’t tried the big air gun on them yet!

I’m trying to loosen the bolts you access inside the trunk, under the tail light panel. I’m trying to install my new rear valance with exhaust cutouts so I can install my new 2 1/2” exhaust. I couldn’t get the top screws in the valance on with the bumper on. Penetrator injected two days ago, will try tomorrow, but they look very rusty. Any other ideas for installing the valance with the bumper on? I haven’t tried the big air gun on them yet!
WHEN you get those bolts out, you'll want replace them with new bolts. You need to seal the body holes with something like 3M caulking strip as well as some sort of rust protection on the nut fixtures ( they have a name, but..........?) I know the 73 brackets are a bit different to mine, 71-72's, but I think they are basically the same. In case you have not seen what you're dealing with, here's a pic of a 71 rear bracket. I hope I'm not being too condescending here.

Attachments

• IMG_2037.1.JPG
    IMG_2037.1.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 22
No, not at all. I was able to get the one, passenger side bolt and nut loose. It had been replaced along the way from this metal c-clip nut thing. The other three bolts have those, and I was able to remove the outboard drivers one. The other two rotate in place, so the saws-all got one off, but now, I’m out of sharp short saws-all blades. I’m going to replace all 4 with new bolts and nuts. Those brackets look the same as mine, but mine have 49 years of stuff on them.

We’ll I got them all off, two with a impact and two with a sawsall. Now, new question: I notice the bolt kits they sell come with some sort of felt washers. I suspect they fit between the bumper brackets and body. Do I really need those?

Back