Rear Bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mac 1
I realize in the end this is my.chioce but I am interested in some opinions. I have a 73 but the striping is the 71 72 look. The wheels are also not the 73s at the present time. There is currently what I assume is an aftermarket rear bumper on it without the guards or strip. It's in nice shape.

Lately I've been thinking of putting the correct bumper on there - my car came with the guards and strip. Is this a mistake in terms of appearance? The back looks sleek now. Does the correct set up look odd on a car that does not otherwise look like a 73? Also, would I need other type of mounting brackets since someone changed the bumper or should a 73 assembly bolt right up?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The guards and rubber strip were an option. The plain chrome bumper was standard.

My 73 convertible had the Decor Group appearance package, but did not come with the guards and rubber strip when new. In the early 80's I bought the Deluxe Bumper and Guards. The last I heard the Deluxe bumper is not reproduced but you can buy the rubber strips for them.

Yea, mine is plain also (after market, but original was plain too). Personally I like it this way.

I was talking with a guy who lives in DC and he said that all of the cars back in the day had the pushers on the bumpers because everyone used them to park and un-park to move cars out of the way :whistling:

Thanks guys. I have photos of my car when new and it had the deluxe bumper and strip. You know it's always fun to buy parts and make changes- just not sure if I like the look with the guards.

i actuallly got new rubber and powder coated mine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the two bumpers mount the same way? In other words if a previous owner swapped it to a plain bumper would some type of mounting brackets be changed as well.

There are a few other things on a 73 model year rear that are different from 71 and 72 years that you can change and in my opinion help improve the appearance of the rear. In addition to a plain bumper with no guards or rubber strips, you can get a set of 71 or 72 rear quarter panel end caps, a pair of 71 or 72 (shorter) bumper mounts, and then remove the quarter panel rubber bumper fillers and the horizontal stone deflector from behind the bumper. This will pull the bumper into its original (71-72) position giving the rear a cleaner look and a better contour, as Ford originally intended. The only difficulty in doing this swap is painting the end caps the color of your car, unless you can find a set that matches.

Below is my car with the 73 set up and with the 71-72 set up.

rackerm, that's a great post and just the kind of knowledge i am hoping to garner to put my 73 together. Thanks!

I prefer the plain look which is why I removed the bumper guards on mine.

But I have to say that the black powder coated one looks really nice with the guards. I'd even say it'd look less good without the guards. Dang! A new idea to consider.

I prefer the plain look which is why I removed the bumper guards on mine.

But I have to say that the black powder coated one looks really nice with the guards. I'd even say it'd look less good without the guards. Dang! A new idea to consider.
I agree the black powder coat does look nice. I think the reason it looks so good is how the bumper completes the trunk stripe around the tail panel as well as compliments spoiler on the trunk and the use of a body color valence instead of blackout. Nicely done toastintx!

I myself think the look naked without the guards, lol. I grew up with them. I would go back original. There is no difference in the mounts for the bumper, with or without guards. It would not be a big thing to drill the hole3 for the rub strip if they do not make with the holes and slots. The guards were a $14.00 option when new. I do not know the cost with the rub strip. The black out hood and locks was only $18.00 so they were not cheap.

David

There seem to be some used parts around that I could cobble up a set up with. I felt the same as you. It looks a little naked without but certainly a clean look.

In 1973 "Performance" was starting to be just be a word in the Dictionary.  Safety was starting to be the new battle cry from the Big Three!  As posted before the plain rear bumper was standard with two options for a "Safer" rear bumper. The first was the rear bumper guard option for the amount David posted of an outrageous $14.00 which included two rear bumper guards with vertical rub strips. The second was the Deluxe Bumper Group which included the rear bumper guards and horizontal rub strips for an equally outrageous $25.00, which probably was a lot of 73 dollars!   :)

hey 25.00 was less than 1% in 72/73 it would be proportional to 250.00 feature on a 31,000 dollar car today. Add 5-9 really desired features at anywhere from 75-295 bucks then and all of a sudden you're up to a 50-60 thousand dollar car from the factory today that would lose 1/3 of its value to 35-40 as you drive it off. That also bring up the question as to why it was a 25.00 option in 73 why it would cost us the same 250.00 to put it in, repair or replace today. :) that's pretty messed up.

I have a complete 73 rear bumper in good shape and would trade ya.

rackerm, thanks for the detail,ed info, i intend to do the same on my 73 mach 1

Back