Rear Drum Brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark73mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351C-4V, Ram Air, FMX, Wimbledon White
1969 Ford Mustang Sportsroof, 445-4V, T-5, Black Jade
1973 Ford Mustang Convertible
I was replacing my rear brake shoes, hardware and wheel cylinders. While carefully taking the brake assembly apart two flat washers and one wave washer fell out. I'm not sure where they go. I checked the shop manual but no luck. Any assistance would be helpful. Thanks Mark

The drum brake adjusting screw assembly uses at least one washer, I believe that is where your wave washer goes. You could also have the washers from the bolts that hold the wheel cylinders on.

While I always think I’m right, I’m sometimes wrong. But, I believe the wave washer goes between the parking break lever pin (that goes through the brake shoe) and the brake shoe. The lock hold the pin in place.

You could be right, I don't recall there being a washer there in my car, but there may have been one there originally. Here is a diagram. I only see 2 washers, the one on the pin of the emergency brake bracket and the one on the adjusting screw.

Attachments

• mustang rear brakes.jpg
    mustang rear brakes.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2
The washer on the brake adjusted is smooth and not warped. I just did mine on my 73 and that’s where my two washers went. Now, I haven’t tried the brakes yet, so . . .

Here's a much clearer version of the brake assembly diagram that 71pj posted. The 351467-S is a wave washer, and goes under the parking brake lever retaining clip. The purpose of the wave washer is to keep the lever from rattling.

If you want to use the extra washer, it should go between the lever and brake shoe.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/washer-spring-anti-rattle/167402

1661879140215.png

Thanks to everyone for the pics and info. Mark

Back