Rear drum questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxgranch

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Base Convertible 302
I have the left rear brake apart on the 72 convertible. I noticed that it was assemble with the parking brake cable to the rear of the car. The images I have seen of the drum brake show the parking brake cable to the front. Ditto for the hole for the brake adjuster wheel. Am I fretting over nothing or did something get done wrong in the past?

Also, how hot does this area get? It has some surface rust and I was thinking I should repaint. I have some of the Eastwood stuff rated to 350 degrees. Would that hold up or catch fire under heavy braking and smell bad?

I managed to sort out the drum size and shoe width on my own, thankfully!

Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic of the left rear drum on mine before I rebuilt it. The parking brake cable definitely gets inserted from the front and goes to the rear of the drum.

I used engine enamel on both the backing plate and the drum and haven't had any issues. I think that stuff is rated for 550°F, so I don't know if going any lower is a good idea. Most brake parts paint is made to work to about 900°F.

PSX_20211112_121612.jpg

PSX_20211112_121550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did mine.  You scared me, as I've found a lot of stuff reversed.
I see the cable to the rear.
drum-split.jpg

The parking brake cable is inserted from the front on both sides. Sounds like someone needed a backing plate for the left side and could only come up with one for the right side.

I would use at least engine paint on the backing plate and high temperature paint on the drum.

Parking Brake.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all! The before photo was very helpful as are the drawings. The cable to the pedal inserts from the front and the all of the stuff that was posted matches what is on the car. I have the all Ford manual for 1972 and it shows a "typical" drum brake with the cable inside the drum and the parking brake lever being towards the front. I assume there were variants that went that way, nice to hear there are variants that went that way they go on ours so I don't have to panic, though I am quite good at that.

Back