Rear drum/shoe backing plate question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knn

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 (302)
I'm trying to figure out the correct shoes and drums for our 1971 Mach 1 w/ 351c.  The way I got her from the PO was a mess.  She had 4 different size tires, different drums side-to-side, etc.  When we replaced the rear brakes, the local auto parts store sold us 1 3/4" x 10 shoes (I didn't know any better then :( )

According to the shop manuals, I think she should have come with 2" shoes, but I've also seen people say it's a crap shoot with what Ford put on the car.

My questions:

• Can put take your pick on installing 1 3/4 or 2 inch (as long as the drums and shoes?
  • I've also heard people say that you can use 2 1/2 with a 2 1/2 inch backing plate.  Is that true and/or worth it?

Much appreciated,

Nick

There's an article in this post that should give you some help. For the most part they all have the same backing plate for the same diameter, the different widths are compensated for by the offset in the drums.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an article in this post that should give you some help. For the most part they all have the same backing plate for the same diameter, the different widths are compensated for by the offset in the drums.
Thanks @Don C!!

Back