Rear Drum - wheel cylinder

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 - Q-code auto - Medium Bright Yellow
While tearing apart the entire rear end, I noticed that my rear wheel brake cylinders are the same for the left and the right. However, when I go to page 61 of the NPD parts catalog, it shows that there are differnent ones for the left and the right. Does it really matter if I have two lefts on the car? The numbers stamped on the back side are the same, but the numbers on the front are different. DSC06512.JPG

One is stamped 72, which I now assume to be the year, right? The other is stamped 84. I can't remember if I had the brakes rebuilt 26 years ago but maybe I did and the mechanic just replaced the wheel cylinder with whatever he had.

DSC06511.JPG

Any thoughts?

the cast numbers could mean anything.

basically the difference left to right is the way the brake line connects from the back, if somebody rebent the original line to fit then you wouldn't notice.

the parts are otherwise the same left to right. just the break line hole is machined slightly different left to right.

I have a 71 convert. with 351C and front discs.

When I got the car the rear wheel cylinders were leaking so I replaced everything inside the rear drums due to contamination.

I purchased new brake parts from NAPA and did the driver side first with no problems including wheel cylinder.

When I bolted the wheel cylinder on the passenger side I noticed that the brake line was opposite where it was supposed go in!

The car came with the driver side wheel cylinders on both sides of the car.

I replaced it with a new driver side and it went in perfectly.

From what I have read, this is common.

mustangs unlimited does stock the left and right if you want to be correct. i'm sure NPD does also, i have better mechanical parts luck orders with Mustangs unlimited.

Thanks guys for all of the info. I found this piece of literature on the web. According to this, it shows that for 73 (only..figures) with a 351 you get two "rights" D3ZZ-2261-A. So I am just going to rebuild the ones that I have and make it work.

Thanks again.

Brake - rear wheel cylinder data.jpg

Back