Rear end issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
I rebuilt this 20 yrs ago and car has not been running since the rebuild (so it has been sitting in garage this entire time).  3.50 N case 31 spline trac-lock .  I am installing rear discs and noticed the rear axle has a VERY noticeable difficult to turn spot.  Engine is going to be at least a 460 (may be stroked) and needless to say the sticky turning is concerning.  I am already thinking i will pull rear end (need to weld a bit for disc install).  My plan is to remove the brakes and pull the axle(s) to see if a wheel bearing is the problem.  If not then remove the pumpkin and go from there.  Has anyone seen this before?  Any recommendations for troubleshooting/diagnosing the root cause?  I probably should pull pumpkin anyways since it did not seal very well so really after ideas of things to look for.

I did not maintain this like I should. I guess I should tear it down and replace as needed?

Back