Rear Frame bushing - leaf spring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 - Q-code auto - Medium Bright Yellow
I'm looking at the rear part of the rear frame rail where the rear part of the leaf spring attaches to the frame. How can I remove this bushing? If I do remove it what exactly is it called? Any ideas would be great. Thank you,

DSC06557b.jpg

This was way to easy. I thought that the entire rubber bushing was one piece and that I had to find some way to compress the one end to thread it through the hole in the frame.

Thanks for the ideas guys. It came out in two pieces and just needed a screw driver and a hammer.

Now it's back to dremel time...

no that fun is with the front eye bushing in the leaf spring, that is the one that causes misery and you need a special tool to jam a new bushing in.

the front rubber bushing in the eyelet is the one people set on fire to remove.

if your using a dremel to clean your rails man that is going to take forever. switch to a power drill with a rust remover disc.

I'm looking at the rear part of the rear frame rail where the rear part of the leaf spring attaches to the frame. How can I remove this bushing? If I do remove it what exactly is it called? Any ideas would be great. Thank you,
Cursing, a large chevy wrench, assorted pry bars, more cursing, my cell phone to call a friend and borrow different tools, curse some more, use heat (no job is complete until you use heat), Repeat on the other side! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Front bushing came out in three pieces. It took two blades on the metal cutting angle grinder. First I had to cut the leaf springs off. I was going to replace them anyways.... I guess. Then one deep cut down the middle of the remaining part of the leaf spring where the bolt was. Even with the entire bushing cut in half, I still had to cut between the bushing and the frame to release it from the car.

All that work, left a scar on the frame, but should be hidden with the replacement parts.

Thanks again all...

Back