rear hood corner protectors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Does anyone still have the black plastic protectors on the rear corners of the hood? I think the y stopped using the sometime in January 1972 but, I'm trying to narrow it down/confirm the dates. Small holes on the rear corners of the hood may indicate that the hood came with the protectors. I know it seems trivial but, this is the concours tab. All information appreciated. Chuck

I am unaware of any plastic pieces on the back of the hood unless you're talking about the plastic pieces that go under and around the back (top) edges of the fenders, those pieces are really hard to find since a 71 thing only. I have a pair (one of them is missing a small piece) that can snap a pic of but I have to dig them up.

Chuck, are you referring to the upper rear of the front fender? If so, Ford called those "Front Fender Fillers. We discussed those in mach1000's post. https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-plastic-fender-to-cowl-filler-panel-trim-information  There were also some fender and hood rear moldings Ford used for a very short time in early 71 production. The hood rear molding (D1ZZ-16B918-A) was a push on type with no attaching parts required. All Mustangs and  Cougar XR-7 (65F and 76F) had these moldings installed up to 2/1/71. The upper rear edge of  the fenders also had a push on molding but were different between the Mustang and Cougar. The Mustang (left: D1ZZ-16C133-A right: D1ZZ-16C132-A) and Cougar XR-7 (left: D1WY-16C133-A  right: D1WY-16C132-A) were not used after 2/1/71 and can be difficult to find and in good shape.

I have a early build 71 Mach1 (9-21-70) that I acquired in 1981. Most of  the hood rear molding was already missing (probably done by PO when the hood was removed for an engine swap) and what was left of the fender rear crumbled when touched. Time was not kind to these moldings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Steve! That was what I was referring to. I asked because an MCA judge told me they were used through 01/72. I didn't sound right to me so, I asked.

Thanks Again,

Chuck

Here's a follow up question. Since the Boss 351 was intended to be a stripped down car for racing, would an early build have received these moldings as well?

To clarify my question, the B1 used a metal front bumper to save weight, no honeycomb on the back, no dual exhaust rear valance, etc, so with these external styling items purposely not included, would the cars built in this time frame have had the trim on the rear of the hood or would that have been left off?

My "stripped down" comment was a reference to the base model being designed as the successor to the earlier Bosses for racing (only a 4 speed, no air conditioning available, only a 3.91 rear end, special engine, etc), not saying that the cars couldn't be ordered with additional options.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these the ones you need info on 

Front Fender Filler Ends

These black plastic fender seals were used on the ends of the fenders near the windshield post. These seals were only used on cars built before 6/1/71, so most 71's should have them. Strangely, we have found two different designs for these parts. Side by side comparison shown above right.

fenderseal67.jpg

fenderseals.jpg

Are these the ones you need info on 

Front Fender Filler Ends

These black plastic fender seals were used on the ends of the fenders near the windshield post. These seals were only used on cars built before 6/1/71, so most 71's should have them. Strangely, we have found two different designs for these parts. Side by side comparison shown above right.

fenderseal67.jpg

fenderseals.jpg
That is it Don. Looks to be 1971 only. Thanks, Chuck

Chuck, are you referring to the upper rear of the front fender? If so, Ford called those "Front Fender Fillers. We discussed those in mach1000's post. https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-plastic-fender-to-cowl-filler-panel-trim-information  There were also some fender and hood rear moldings Ford used for a very short time in early 71 production. The hood rear molding (D1ZZ-16B918-A) was a push on type with no attaching parts required. All Mustangs and  Cougar XR-7 (65F and 76F) had these moldings installed up to 2/1/71. The upper rear edge of  the fenders also had a push on molding but were different between the Mustang and Cougar. The Mustang (left: D1ZZ-16C133-A right: D1ZZ-16C132-A) and Cougar XR-7 (left: D1WY-16C133-A  right: D1WY-16C132-A) were not used after 2/1/71 and can be difficult to find and in good shape.

I have a early build 71 Mach1 (9-21-70) that I acquired in 1981. Most of  the hood rear molding was already missing (probably done by PO when the hood was removed for an engine swap) and what was left of the fender rear crumbled when touched. Time was not kind to these moldings.
Every time I click on that link above I get a 404 server error?

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

You mean these pieces (sorry, I only have a pic of 1 piece). Yeah, like hen's teeth to find originals. I have no idea if the 3D printed ones will be any good. I've done considerable work with 3D printed Nylon, but a lot depends totally on the polymer being used. Easy to make something look pretty, but will it stand up in use??? 

IMG_3298.JPG

Back