Rear leaf spring block

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Potrast

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I am replacing my rear leaf springs on my 1973 Mach 1, when I removed the current leaf springs I found a 1 inch aluminum block on top of the leaf spring. One of the blocks is broken in half. I am trying to find out if these blocks are stock or if a previous owner put in these blocks to lower the car.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am replacing my rear leaf springs on my 1973 Mach 1, when I removed the current leaf springs I found a 1 inch aluminum block on top of the leaf spring. One of the blocks is broken in half. I am trying to find out if these blocks are stock or if a previous owner put in these blocks to lower the car.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
The aluminum blocks are not factory.

Yeah, not factory. They are lowering blocks. Obviously a PO wanted the ass end lower than stock. If you want the rear lower, you'll need a reverse eye spring. Before you buy springs, PLEASE do your homework. I HIGHLY recommend you buy from Eaton Detroit Springs. NPD also sell Eaton's springs, but they will custom make what you need, but at a premium. There are some other good brands out there, but trust me, some are total crap. Eaton only use SAE 5150 spring steel, not something like 4140 as it seems many cheap brands are. (I might be wrong on the Eaton steel number, I need to check) EDIT: 5160 not 5150.

If you've not seen them, watch a couple of these Eaton video's.

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/36373-an-interesting-and-informative-video-from-eaton-detroit-springs/?do=getNewComment

Last edited by a moderator:
Back