Rear shock plate and shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

Needing some info from the wise and mighty amongst the group - and anyone else that might know.   One question and one issue.

Question - Is this the correct rear shock plate?  Can't find any pictures for a 71 -73 other than the staggered.  Looking for base model sports roof. From the pictures I'm finding it looks a lot like the same ones used on a 70 model.   

Issue - The bottom of the body where the shock goes has been beef up with weld and I cannot get the rubber bushings on both sides.  The top of the shock stud is not long enough. The only way is to use one bushing and cut it in half.  Put half on the bottom and the other half on top.   Do they make a shock with a longer top rod?  If not any suggestions or ideas on how to fix.  I'm wanting to buy some better shocks and would like to put them on right.

One of the shock plates looks correct. The other does not. I have a set at home in the shop for a non-staggered setup. I will take pics of them tonight for you.

In your first picture, there's a lower shock/ spring plate on the left and a spring-side rear stabilizer mount on the right.

I don't know if you'll find shocks with a longer upper stud- if you installed one on a regular cross member the end of the stud might protrude above the floor.

You may have to grind off the repair and re-do it to reduce the thickness of material the stud has to pass through...

In your first picture, there's a lower shock/ spring plate on the left and a spring-side rear stabilizer mount on the right.

I don't know if you'll find shocks with a longer upper stud- if you installed one on a regular cross member the end of the stud might protrude above the floor.

You may have to grind off the repair and re-do it to reduce the thickness of material the stud has to pass through...
I know the one is for the stabilizer.  top pic is left side next pic is right side. Are the spring plates the correct ones?  As I said I couldn't find any pictures of them for the 71 - 73's.  Only pictures I could find were of aftermarket and the ones for stager shocks.  Which brings up another question - if these are correct then what is the difference between these and those for a 70 model.  They look alike. 

I thought about grinding but trying to stay away from that if possible.  Will consider if I can't come up with another solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a right and left non staggered shock set up.

They are a little different than what I have. Reason I was wanting to see is that mine bent a little when I was torqueing the u bolts.  When I went to see if they sold replacements the only thing I could find was for the earlier models and one set of aftermarket for $160.   I'll just keep an eye on mine and see if anything loosens up over time.  They were on the car when I got it.  The springs have been changed out so maybe they are from an earlier or different model.

some one made the flat shock plate about the time the repair was made in order to fix a problem  did the flat piece  and the repair come off the same side ?
 The flat plate is factory and is for the rear sway bar.  The repair is on both sides.  Don't know why it was done.  No rust around the surrounding area.  Inside in the shock rod pocket it is in good shape also. To me it looks like they were trying to beef up that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
The repair welds were liked needed due to extended use of air shocks and or overload springs. It was a common problem back in the day. Chuck

The repair welds were liked needed due to extended use of air shocks and or overload springs. It was a common problem back in the day. Chuck
Makes sense.  The rears springs are 6 leaf.  Yes - 6 leaf.  My brother had the car set up for racing when bought it.  He wanted to run it at the local track.  Never got the opportunity to.

Back