Rear spoiler color previous owner painted body color thinking of changing to black should it be gloss or satin black or leave as is? Tia

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of like it body color. Sometimes I think our wings (they are not spoilers) stand out a bit too much with contesting color, especially on cars like mine which has the argent wing with the green car.

An automotive airfoil (wing) is shaped like an upside-down airplane wing — it deflects airflow upward to generate down-force on the rear of the vehicle. A spoiler is an obstruction to localized airflow that improves the overall airflow around a vehicle.

They should be the same as the hood blackout and lower body, i.e.. low luster, but not flat black. Mine are all done with SEM HotRod Black. The original paint is no longer available, so we have to come as close as possible. HotRod black comes pretty close and is very durable. It works for me!

Attachments

• 20211028_164919 (2).jpg
    20211028_164919 (2).jpg
    606 KB · Views: 10
They should be the same as the hood blackout and lower body, i.e.. low luster, but not flat black. Mine are all done with SEM HotRod Black. The original paint is no longer available, so we have to come as close as possible. HotRod black comes pretty close and is very durable. It works for me!
That's how it have to look like on a pewter car!

Only sand it slightly with some grit in the thousands than apply some kind of satin black.

It's all about personal taste. I kinda like the matching color. My convertible is currently how I found it. Just got a rear wing and will gloss black it along with the chin spoiler on the front. My hood and stripes are glossed. However, in the near future it will get a complete repaint and return all trim and stripes to satin black.

Weren’t they that semi-flat black color Ford liked to use back then?

Th
Weren’t they that semi-flat black color Ford liked to use back then?
They could have been the semi flat black, or the semi flat argent color, depending on what the lower body color on your car was.

We used PPG Hot Rod Black Matte for our painted black surfaces. It diffuses light nearly as well as flat black, but it also very smooth so you won't have the kind of grief a run flat black surface can cause.

The CORRECT color for the hood and black-out is PPG/Ditzler 9381 and apparently can't be matched anymore. That's why we have to use the best we can find. SEM Hot Rod Black is accepted by most as being pretty close although not the same texture.
I was not aware that PPG also made a paint called HotRod Black.

So I did a matt black wrap on the top of the wing today and am now thinking since not an original color will keep as body color as the black doesn’t jump out as much as I thought it would

Attachments

• 91D0DFA0-9421-4F91-9253-C99FB30F1BC8.jpeg
    91D0DFA0-9421-4F91-9253-C99FB30F1BC8.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 13
Kind of like it body color. Sometimes I think our wings (they are not spoilers) stand out a bit too much with contesting color, especially on cars like mine which has the argent wing with the green car.

An automotive airfoil (wing) is shaped like an upside-down airplane wing — it deflects airflow upward to generate down-force on the rear of the vehicle. A spoiler is an obstruction to localized airflow that improves the overall airflow around a vehicle.
Wing, spoiler... I get the difference, and appreciate you having taken a moment to advise that there is a difference. I use the two terms back and forth, as though they are synonyms - although I know there is a difference. And, because of that I am helping perpetuate a misuse of the term, spoiler. I could be doing worse in our slice of the world. heh heh...

I was watching a Barrett Jackson (I think or it was an Mecum) auction and the announcers (who think they are experts) called it a spoiler on a big nose also. So yes, potato, patato...

y

According to all of my manufacturing research( I could be wrong) the rear wing was NEVER installed at the factory, it was a dealer installed option. Therefore there is no correct color, it’s either what ales sense with the car or what the customer wanted.

Back