Rear Spoiler opinion, Yes or No?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a "do what you want, it's your car" person, whether you customize it, or do a concourse restoration. That said, I like the spoilers, too, but likely won't add one to my car, too many cars already have them. If I were to do something it would be add a small duck tail, similar to the 69s, only not as abrupt, smoother and probably a little smaller. I like making vehicles 'mine', even if it's subtle.

I beat you to the duckbill/tail by two minutes! Great minds think alike!

Here is a photo of my Mach 1 without the rear spoiler/wing. I do like the way it looks but boy some the cars I have seen on the forum look super bad with the spoiler. The clean h look is also very sharp!View attachment 61265
I'm a front spoiler but no rear wing guy. To each his own. Do what you like and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!

View attachment 61837

View attachment 61838
Wow your car looks Great! That is the look i currently have with a front spoiler and I have Ram Air as well on the hood. But your car is a killer!

My 2 cents worth.

I think all the models in the '71 to '73 range look good with front and rear spoilers and without the spoilers respectively. So to me, it comes down to personal preference as to whether you want to ride with them or not. Great if you do and great if you don't. Your call.

Greg.:)

I'm a front spoiler but no rear wing guy. To each his own. Do what you like and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!

View attachment 61837

View attachment 61838
I like how clean your car looks with side stripes and no hood blackout. You get to see more of the shape and contours of the front-end.
I think this really works well with the medium metallic colors, blue, green, copper/bronze.

D7DA3647-06A4-493B-AE4F-29235F95914B.jpeg
If you want to add the bling, then it is simple to change. Get a second hood and trunk lid, paint to match and add the spoiler and hood paint. Then you can change it back and forth, when you want a change. My personal preference…

I'm a no stripes/no spoiler guy on my current Mach. Had the works previously and just wanted a clean look this go around. Left this one how Ford made it - for the most part.

View attachment 61255
Very nice. Ford could have marketed this as their "Police Interceptor" version in the day!

Your car is awesome!
Thank you.

My son asked if I would lease leave it to him upon my demise. It is nice that he asked, but I asked him to please not try to hurry things along, heh heh... He likes the 1969 Shelby GT500 more, by a little bit. But he is more comfortable driving the 73 Mach 1 because so much less value s at risk. The 1969 GT500 remains my favorite car of all time, as nostalgia comes into play. But the 2020 Shelby GT500 and 73 Mach 1 re right behind it nipping at the heels. And not far behind that is our 73 Convertible. It is a more Plain Jane kind of pony, but a blast to drive with the top down. It "only" has a bone stock 302 2v and 3 speed auto tranny in it, but it is plenty to get around in style with. Luckily Lynda (wife) is a Mustang/Shelby Chick, so I get to order parts in her name all the time. And, she found both 73 Mustangs. I am responsible for the 2 Shelbys, but she lets me tell folks the 69 is mine. heh heh... Quite a gal...

I hope nobody is getting tired of me posting photos of our ponies so often. I sure enjoy showing them whether at a car show or via online posts...

Attachments

• >>>FRONTLEFTSIDEVIEW -1969-Shelby-GT500-copy.jpg
    >>>FRONTLEFTSIDEVIEW -1969-Shelby-GT500-copy.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3877.JPG
    IMG_3877.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5621_LokeesFrontEnd.jpg
    IMG_5621_LokeesFrontEnd.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5456.JPG
    IMG_5456.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 14
I had a plain jane 72 convertible. When I was redoing it, I decided I liked the chin spoiler and rear wing so I added them. I also liked the scooped hood and hockey stick stripes. I combined the "original" green paint with argent accents with the black spoilers, black top and fake black and chrome magnums. I like how it came out and that's all that matters.83D97AA6-6F59-4162-8AD1-84A78FECD2C4.jpeg

Last edited:
So no surprise to many - I like spoilers on cars that were ordered and equipped with them originally.

I do not like rear spoilers on any 71-3 hardtops, aka 'coupes' or any convertibles. For non -Mach or non - Boss sportsroofs aka fastbacks - I have seen many that look decent with them added but I prefer them without.

Ray

I'm a "do what you want, it's your car" person, whether you customize it, or do a concourse restoration. That said, I like the spoilers, too, but likely won't add one to my car, too many cars already have them. If I were to do something it would be add a small duck tail, similar to the 69s, only not as abrupt, smoother and probably a little smaller. I like making vehicles 'mine', even if it's subtle.
Must have read your mind Don C.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
My 72 came with a rear wing and the original owner had the front spoiler dealer installed before delivery so I wouldn’t change a thing but my preference would be no wing and no spoiler. I really love the Diamonds are Forever Mach1.

I'm a fence sitter about the rear wing. Usually the wing is installed. BUT when I feel the need to fly wingless I have body colored plastic push-in plugs for the trunk lid holes. It's amazing how much our cars change with or without the wing.

I really like that color combo with the argent front spoiler, valence, and stripes. To me the rear window louvers and spoiler pull the look together, nice car.
For me, I like both the front and rear spoilers on the fastbacks. I also like the look of these cars with the rear louvers. I now have the front and rear spoilers and will be installing the louvers here in the next couple of weeks.

Tom

IMO, they are all sexy and although I'm not a complete purist, I adore the look of how they were born, like hemikillers steelwheel sleeper look, the louver/front/rear spoilers on the M1's, but as for ragtops with the spoiler options I still don't know how I feel. If they came with the spoiler/strip options leave it be. Mine came with conservative side protectors and several guys have asked if I was taking them off. I told them if they volunteered $10k for a paint job, I may consider it but its probably not worth the "side force" go faster aero it provides me, kinda like spoilers and stripes!

Attachments

• 3DD578C7-6B48-48E9-9C4E-6020F9D53C0F.png
    3DD578C7-6B48-48E9-9C4E-6020F9D53C0F.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thank you.

My son asked if I would lease leave it to him upon my demise. It is nice that he asked, but I asked him to please not try to hurry things along, heh heh... He likes the 1969 Shelby GT500 more, by a little bit. But he is more comfortable driving the 73 Mach 1 because so much less value s at risk. The 1969 GT500 remains my favorite car of all time, as nostalgia comes into play. But the 2020 Shelby GT500 and 73 Mach 1 re right behind it nipping at the heels. And not far behind that is our 73 Convertible. It is a more Plain Jane kind of pony, but a blast to drive with the top down. It "only" has a bone stock 302 2v and 3 speed auto tranny in it, but it is plenty to get around in style with. Luckily Lynda (wife) is a Mustang/Shelby Chick, so I get to order parts in her name all the time. And, she found both 73 Mustangs. I am responsible for the 2 Shelbys, but she lets me tell folks the 69 is mine. heh heh... Quite a gal...

I hope nobody is getting tired of me posting photos of our ponies so often. I sure enjoy showing them whether at a car show or via online posts...
You have a bunch of beauties there and I believe this is the first time I've seen your ragtop and probably the only other one I've seen with the grocery cart guard rails even though Ford may have mounted them too high, but groceries were way cheaper back then so maybe the carts were larger then even without brandon's economy today? 😡

What do you do for protecting the pooch from scratching things up? I "try" to anchor Warden to the front seatbelt tight enuff to keep his paws of off the paint, but drool clean up is just part of the deal for his "walks" when I'm lazy.

Attachments

• 35FF48C9-217B-4E84-A313-B3EBBBEA924B.jpeg
    35FF48C9-217B-4E84-A313-B3EBBBEA924B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
Back